T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I was wondering how do people go about choosing the colours of shirts they are going to print on? I would like to offer at least two colour options per design, but this does get pricey. I am using heat press w/plastisol transfers. I want to get the "dozen" prices from American Apparel, so I have to order 1 size, 1 colour X 12 shirts - to get the lowest price without ordering a case.

So, what would you do? Would you offer each shirt design as a single colour? Or, spend the money and offer two shirt colours per design?

OR ... spend a couple dollars more per shirt, order less, and hold a smaller inventory of shirts?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm offering 2 colors per design in most cases. Every shirt design I have is offered in black due to the popularity of that color. So I usually pick a main shirt color then the second color option will be black, usually same ink color unless it doesn't work out.

I have yet to launch my site, but my partner and I agreed that having a choice is a good thing, most people don't mind a black shirt, it's pretty neutral, but not everyone may like a light blue, or kelly green shirt. Usually if the main shirt color for the design is black that may be the only choice, it just depends on the design.

Once we launch we'll see what happens and what we need to stock. We're launching with 15 shirt designs, and recently bought almost all of the shirts we need. We purchased S-2XL and spent about $600 for 201 shirts. It is a hefty investment upfront, but I figure once we start taking orders it'll be a lot cheaper to restock since we don't have to buy so many shirts at a time.

I figure this way rather than just getting a very small order you'll save in shipping costs as well.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Sounds like a solid plan Jason.

One thing I'd a avoid is too many colour options for one shirt...nothing screams "this tshirt is not designed more put together" when there are 6+ colour options.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I bought samples in six colors, printed a design on each color, took a picture of them all together, and then posted the pic and a poll on a couple message boards asking which color was the best. I came away with two clear cut winners, so I'm rolling with them to begin with.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I based my decision on the shirts that my market wears. Gamers and anime fans mainly wear either black or white t-shirts. These two colors are also very safe bets on pleasing those who aren't necessarily my market but visit the site and want to buy a shirt.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
EAH79 said:
I spoke with a silk screener in my area and he said that the shirts would run about $5.00 to $6.00 dollars each one (with image on them and price of shirt).
Screen printing prices are based on a number of factors:

1) Number of shirts printed
2) Color Garment you're printing on
3) Total number of colors printed on all sides of the garment
4) If the garment is included in the price, the the style/manufacturer used.

So with just a number of $5-$6 per shirt with image, it doesn't really give much information.

EAH79 said:
Like I said I still have a lot of research to do, but does everyone find that buying shirts and screening cost less from an online source?
If so could you give me a couple examples.
I think with the large availability of online screen printers, it just makes it easier to get price quotes and cost comparisons from various sources. Especially if you live in an area where there is not a lot of screen printers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
identityburn said:
Once we launch we'll see what happens and what we need to stock. We're launching with 15 shirt designs, and recently bought almost all of the shirts we need. We purchased S-2XL and spent about $600 for 201 shirts. It is a hefty investment upfront, but I figure once we start taking orders it'll be a lot cheaper to restock since we don't have to buy so many shirts at a time.

I figure this way rather than just getting a very small order you'll save in shipping costs as well.

Are they 6.1 ounce shirts? How much are you paying for just the shirts alone no printing?

I am still new, and I have a lot of research to do so any information will be greatly appreciated.

EAH79:)

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
EAH79 said:
ow much are you paying for just the shirts alone no printing?
I think Jason (identityburn) is doing the printing himself, so the $601 price was just for the blank t-shirts.

EAH79 said:
I am still new, and I have a lot of research to do so any information will be greatly appreciated.
Lots of information is available here :)

If you use the search box in the upper left hand corner and search for a specific topic you're interested in, you'll find lots of great information. Anything you don't find the answer to, feel free to ask.

:welcome:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just bought $593 worth of shirts from broder bros. I picked them up so I didn't pay shipping. I bought Gildan 2000's, black, white, orange, royal blue, sport gray, red, army green, steel, and sand. I bought sizes s,m,l,,xl,xxl. It worked out to $2.57 per shirt.

When I finally have my set-up, I'll be doing car show, races, festivals and the like. I'll have a display of my transfers in front of my trailer. They will be numbered. So a person wants a '68 chevelle shirt, he just tells me the number on the transfer, what size, and color shirt he wants. I'll make it right then. That cuts way down on inventory. And the customer gets exactly what he wants.

But for a custom design I would only offer a couple of colors. If you have a color that really doesn't sell, just change it once it finally sells out.

·
Registered
382 Posts
EAH79 said:
Are they 6.1 ounce shirts? How much are you paying for just the shirts alone no printing?

EAH79:)
Yeah I am doing the printing myself so that is for the blanks. Most of my shirts are colors, which I paid $2.69 for, I believe the whites were around $1.38. I got them from www.statonwholesale.com AFTER I found out I could have got the colored shirts for $2.40 somewhere else...oh well, next time I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts