T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kelly green shirt that i need to do 3 color job on. Will I need an underbase? and if so, what does Choke adn spread mean? I have smart designer and it has a "flash base" in there and it has if I want to choose choke or spread?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a kelly green shirt that i need to do 3 color job on. Will I need an underbase? and if so, what does Choke adn spread mean? I have smart designer and it has a "flash base" in there and it has if I want to choose choke or spread?
I always tell people if the color you are printing is darker than the color of the shirt you usually can get away wit no underbase.

black on kelly no base
yellow on kelly yes base

If you choke the base, it will shrink or bring in all the edges allowing the over print to cover better. also the white ink tends to spread more making it hard to cover with the top color if you do not choke the base.

A spread is when you make the color bigger than it actually is. this works good on some designs too.

we use both methods depending on the design

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We usually choke the white underbase .75pt inside stroke. For instance if you are printing the word "PRINT" in yellow ink on a black shirt, print the yellow positive normal, then add a .75pt inside stroke (stroke color same as shirt color-black) to it and print it again for your underbase positive. If you are using a press that holds really tight registration, and have really tight screens, you won't have to choke it as much. We are using a manual press with fixed mesh screens, so .75 seems to work well for us.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing I get confused at is...what about Red and ORange? Would they need an underbase on Kelly Green shirt?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts