T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started my screen printing business, so my apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm finding that ordering some of the chemicals such as Screen wash, Degreaser, etc. can get costly when factoring in shipping.

I don't have a screen printing supply shop anywhere nearby and was wanting to know what others do when they need screen wash.

Do you just order it online? Or is there a good substitute I can find at Lowes/Home Depot?

Ideally I'd like to know of a good Screen wash substitute, but I'd be grateful for any substitutes that others use in their day to day operation of their press.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It can get costly indeed, however, the chemicals that you buy from a supplier are scientifically engineered to fulfill its purpose in screenprinting. i've heard of people using dish detergent to degrease their screens, but i'd never do it.

the one exception is scorch remover. 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water in a spray bottle. spray on scorched shirt, re-heat and voila.

i'd contact a few suppliers in the area and figure out which is cheapest. you'd be surprised how many people are trying to undercut the other guy.

derek

·
Registered
321 Posts
laquer thinner (for autovehicles) can be used to remove plastisol ink, but the fumes can put an elephant to sleep...i gave up using laquer thinner and went with the screen printing liquid, it's twice the price, but i won't play with my health for saving 3-4 euros

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'd rather pay more than use lacquer thinner.

I was just hoping since the two different types of screen wash I have both have the same citrus smell, that there might be something you could buy off the shelf locally.

I had heard of people using Simple Green to degrease but my degreasing liquid is going to last a long time. I really only go through the Screen wash it seems.

·
Registered
68 Posts
to wash the plastisol from my screens I use this,

zep citrus cleaner (this is an old logo, but same stuff inside.)

I was in a bind one day and I called up my supplier for some screen wash and this is what he actually suggested. It's about $5 a bottle at home depot and it works like a charm. I was ready to spend $30 plus overnight shipping on one litre of what I though was the "best" because it was screen print specific... scam!

I'm just starting up but I've found that a lot of the "screen printing specific" chemicals are just a rip off. There are normal retail stuff that are much cheaper and work just as well (if not better!). Sure there are some things like haze remover that you should to buy, but degreaser, screen wash, etc., there are options out there.

Seriously Gort, this stuff works.

darwinchristian said:
chemicals that you buy from a supplier are scientifically engineered to fulfill its purpose in screenprinting. i've heard of people using dish detergent to degrease their screens, but i'd never do it.
No offense man but you're mislead. grease = oil = grease, no matter how you cut it. You could use ivory soap and it would degrease your screen. Don't think something is "the best" just because some salesperson told you so. Be informed, educated, try everything yourself, make your own choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see your image, but is it just the Zep citrus cleaner?

There seems to be several Zep citrus cleaners/degreasers online. Couldn't find any on the Home Depot site, but I'll definitely look there for some.

What size is the bottle?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I clean all my tools with straight paint thinner. And I print coroplast signs with rustoleum. If the paints too thick, I thin it with, you guessed it, paint thinner. If it's too thin, I just dump in some baby powder.

There's almost always an alternative. You can make emulsion with elmers glue and some chemical from a photo shop. You can make waterbased inks at home, too. I'm not sure of the recipe, but they're things I've heard of.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't see your image, but is it just the Zep citrus cleaner?

There seems to be several Zep citrus cleaners/degreasers online. Couldn't find any on the Home Depot site, but I'll definitely look there for some.

What size is the bottle?
Here's a pic of my personal stash... It's Zep heavy duty citrus degreaser.

hope that helps!

edit:
link: http://www.zepcommercial.com/products.asp?category=3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That pic helps a lot! Thanks!

I think I can find it now.

I'll definitely pick up a bottle this weekend and try it out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
No offense man but you're mislead. grease = oil = grease, no matter how you cut it. You could use ivory soap and it would degrease your screen. Don't think something is "the best" just because some salesperson told you so. Be informed, educated, try everything yourself, make your own choices.
I've heard of people using dish soaps for degreasing, and come to find out that it was a scented product that contained citrus oils.

heavy duty degreasers may work fine for you, i however have no need for a heavy duty degreaser for my fabrics. i'm not removing hot tar from my 305's or anything. and not that i have done any testing, but i'd hate to have my mesh life affected by unpredictable household or industrial solvents.

at 8 bucks a quart for the "tailored" stuff that you can dillute the crap out of anyway, why bother?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts