T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Hi Zaac, the cheapest place would probably be a distributor site like SSActivewear.com, SanMar, etc. You need a reseller/tax id to order from those sites.

Other sites like blankshirts.com, cheapestees.com also sell blanks pretty cheaply.

You may want to do some price shopping (do a google search for wholesale t-shirts or blank t-shirts) and find which place sells the style you want for the price you want.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Tshirtcrib said:
How drastic is the price difference
20-40% at a guesstimate (mostly toward the lower end of that).

It won't make a huge difference to your margins if you're selling retail, and it's a total non-issue for samples, one off special orders, etc. but it's easy enough to get an account with one of the major wholesalers, and the savings will add up if you're doing enough volume.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Alot of the companies for instance that may be in attendance at the Agenda Show in San Diego come this September who will have their t shirts & apparel on display, is there a good chance they go through the same outlets to get their blank t shirts as we do?? And if so, I am taking it that they simply relable them with their own company name etc..?? Or what about the big names liek Mark Ecko, Rocawear, Akademiks..etc?? I know that there budgets are huge, but what route do they take to get that higher feel & I guess "Quality" of t shirt? Pardon my ignorance people, but there is no better place to ask this question than right here amongst you guys.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
is there a good chance they go through the same outlets to get their blank t shirts as we do?? And if so, I am taking it that they simply relable them with their own company name etc..??
Yes, most likely the smaller independent brands use the same outlets we do and just relabel.

Or what about the big names liek Mark Ecko, Rocawear, Akademiks..etc?? I know that there budgets are huge, but what route do they take to get that higher feel & I guess "Quality" of t shirt?
Since these companies are buying 10,000+ t-shirts at a time, they have the luxury of getting them custom made to their specifications and still get a decent cost per shirt. They probably go to the trade show and find a custom manufacturer (or agent) for a factory overseas and get custom garments tailor made.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rodney said:
Since these companies are buying 10,000+ t-shirts at a time, they have the luxury of getting them custom made to their specifications and still get a decent cost per shirt. They probably go to the trade show and find a custom manufacturer (or agent) for a factory overseas and get custom garments tailor made.
So I can pretty much hang up having a custom shirt made unless I've got $10-20K up front, huh?

However, a year ago I did contact a manufactuer in NY (I'll post again if I can find the name/number) who was willing to do custom shirts for a minimum order of 600 pieces. of course, we're talking a US manufactuer so i can expect to pay more like $5-6 a shirt, huh?

Thanks for your time and responses everyone.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
So I can pretty much hang up having a custom shirt made unless I've got $10-20K up front, huh?
Like you said, you can probably find different cut & sew factories around that may do smaller runs, but you'll pay more per garment. There were a few custom garment manufacturers at the NBM tradeshow I just attended.

It's possible you may find one that does 100 pieces, but you may have to pay $8-9 for the blanks.

Most of the major labels get theirs done in overseas factories by the 10's of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands or millions). So cost per shirt is lower on the larger quantities and it's probably easier for them to find a factorythat wants to work with their numbers and specifications.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Would it be worth buying blank t-shirt samples off ebay so you have a better idea about the kind of products you can make? I'm asking this because samples usually cost a bit from a main supplier and make take a while to receive. Thanks.

Nick.

HKDMZ

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Would it be worth buying blank t-shirt samples off ebay so you have a better idea about the kind of products you can make?
Buying samples is a good way to test out different blank t-shirt brands. Whether you buy from eBay or another online store shouldn't matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts