T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that use a heat press for either inkjet transfers, plastisol transfers or vinyl transfer, how do you centre your graphic perfectly on the shirt before pressing. I have text only and usually only one line and I find it tough to centre especially on large men's shirts. I use a small ruler and that helps but there has to be a better way. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Most Shirt manufactures place a "crease" down the middle of the t-shirt. I use this as my center line. I then measure "3 fingers" down from the bottom of the collar to find the top of my image. I have been doing it this way to over 6 years with no problems.

Or there are a ton of people out there wearing cockeyed photo t-shirts LOL.

Look for the crease, yuo will be fine..

·
Registered
950 Posts
Just curious, does this crease remain after the initial press to remove moisture from the shirt?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am printing text only jokes and here is my method. After cutting out the text I use a pen to mark the center point of the transfer for width and height. One mark down the middle and one each on the left and right. I press once to remove moisture. Then I fold the shirt in half and press for 1 second to get a center line. I center the shirt with the front of the collar just off the back of ther press. I have a center mark on the front of the top platten and lower it partially to verify the crease is centered. I use a tape measure to place the transfer 4 1/2" down to the left and right marks while keeping the center mark on the crease. When the transfer is pressed it eliminates most of the center crease. I will take some pics of the process and email them to anyone interested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the tips so far. I was wondering, though, these two tips might not work so well for high production. I make a lot of shirts at one time using plastisol transfers (soon using vinyl) and I think I need something that is faster. I was thinking about buying a ruler that can make it from one side of the shirt to another no matter what size the shirt is. I can line up the ruler with the base of the armpit to make sure the text will be centered horizontally (where most of my problems are). I measure the vertical centering by eye and that seems to work.

For the tips suggested so far, am I correct in assuming that this system is used for one off printing? Or are you able to use for higher production?

I print on two sides of the shirt too so that is why I am thinking something faster would be better. The back print is small enough that I need not worry about centering really. I have added a link so you can see what shirts I am talking about.

mindyourmindclothing.com/womensshirts.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
From the days when I produced a lot of HP tees, I can tell you this was our biggest problem, especially when you doing more than say, 24. The center crease that most shirt companies like to say they have is messed up on about 30% of the shirts. Just plain sewn wrong. We would have to grab the shoulders of each shirt beforehand and put a pin in the center of shirts that had messed up necklines. FYI

Another tactic was to cut out a template with cardboard so we could quickly postion the shirt below the neck bottom. that worked fairly well.

Yet another, all be it, way more expensive way is to get a laser positioning system. If we had it to do again I'd have invested the money in that for large runs.

GL!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
For high production the laser targeting systems work well. Basically you purchase a stand with a control board for about $200 and then you can add your lasers to the system. There are line lasers about $150 each, spot lasers about $80 & crosshair lasers for about $180. The most effective set ups that I've seen use 3 line lasers. So total cost for something like that is aroung $600. However, keep in mind that the targeting system doesn't guarantee that you place the shirt on the heat press properly:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.