T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I got black also...

Anyways... The perfect pad looks to me like it is just linolem they should have it at your local art store :) we did a type of printing with them in art class last year but dont take my word for it but it should take the heat...
The print perfect pad is a medium density silicone based pad, it is like the one mounted on the bottom platen of a heat press.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Haven't had a chance to cut my test sample yet, but wondered if anyone has laundered anything yet to see how it holds up.
Curious to see how the 2nd, 3rd, etc pressings hold up. Is there enough adhesive on them to last through washing, or will the pigment wash away?
I will definitely do some wash tests. Now what to cut?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Haven't had a chance to cut my test sample yet, but wondered if anyone has laundered anything yet to see how it holds up.
Curious to see how the 2nd, 3rd, etc pressings hold up. Is there enough adhesive on them to last through washing, or will the pigment wash away?
I will definitely do some wash tests. Now what to cut?
I'm doing laundry today and will throw my test piece in and see what happens.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As you can imagine lots of folks within our organization are trying this technique out. One of our sales reps Jaime Flores realized that you can reuse a piece a few times and get a more washed effect with each application. Attached are photos of his t-shirt, the front was the original wash and then the back placement was the design cut apart and pressed again at the same settings. Could make for unique prints and best of all no additional costs in material for each print, just more money if you charge your customer:) Thanks Jaime!
I love the back of this shirt. Cool results!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not sure where this question belongs...

As I play with this stuff, why wouldn't I make it my primary heat press material?

1. Perhaps because it's harder to weed fine detail?
  2. Are there limitations to what kind of garment (cotton, polyester, blend) it can print on over other materials?
  3. Are there more delicate care issues than other materials? I know it needs to be cold washed the first time. How about EVERY time after doing one of the CCH20 techniques?
  4. Price?
What are the pros and cons of the material over other choices? I'm really digging the light weight feel and other than the fine detail weeding problems I'm having (material rips in small areas), I can see this being an excellent general purpose, light weight material that gives me the option to do water based screen printing like results.

What am I missing? What could dash my hopes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
To me, the biggest initial drawback is the problem of color...by this I mean what color will I get if I use Superfilm Color X on shirt color Y. Because you're getting only the backing color, and it is so thin, the shirt color plays a very large part in the equation to get the final result. So, it's quite difficult to be able to tell a customer what the final result would look like at this point.

I know that Josh and Stahls are working on a bunch of samples of all the colors on different shirts...hopefully this will really help. I would say that we'll probably need to do at least a white shirt and a black shirt with test prints in all colors to have in the showroom as a sample.

Other than this, I have found the technique to be very promising. I've done a handful of different shirts/designs, and have been extremely happy with the results!

Not sure where this question belongs...

As I play with this stuff, why wouldn't I make it my primary heat press material?

1. Perhaps because it's harder to weed fine detail?
  2. Are there limitations to what kind of garment (cotton, polyester, blend) it can print on over other materials?
  3. Are there more delicate care issues than other materials? I know it needs to be cold washed the first time. How about EVERY time after doing one of the CCH20 techniques?
  4. Price?
What are the pros and cons of the material over other choices? I'm really digging the light weight feel and other than the fine detail weeding problems I'm having (material rips in small areas), I can see this being an excellent general purpose, light weight material that gives me the option to do water based screen printing like results.

What am I missing? What could dash my hopes?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I found out you can use squeegies, and old ink pens to get different kinds of lines.. think I will be trying wire tomorrow.

Glad you are having fun with this idea. There are so many ideas in my head that I am having trouble concentrating on anything else. I guess what drove this is the fact that so much material was still on the carrier and the "what happens if I do this?" syndrome that I seem to be afflicted with sometimes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Playing with the H2O on the Super film we've got two things to share. With the pink shirt we used crumpled up aluminum foil under the shirt. With the blue shirt we took some used vinyl backing and sandwitched some thin cotton string (about 1/16" or so thick). The only issue we had with either was a "burn" mark where the high points were. It was much more pronounced on the one with the string technique. We used the same thing we use on our embroidery to get rid of hoop burn - spray on sizing like you use for ironing cloths. Worked like a charm.

Next I want to try making up some patterns on the embroidery machine and pressing them under the shirt.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for posting these, they are fun. I've been thinking along the same lines but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Good to know about the sizing spray for inadvertent burn marks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
lisa[USER=21705 said:
@sewon[/USER]lisa;874703] We used the same thing we use on our embroidery to get rid of hoop burn - spray on sizing like you use for ironing cloths. Worked like a charm.

Mike
Hi Mike, can you tell me where I can purchase the sizing spray? Preferrably a link in Australia?
Thanks so much!:)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts