T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks to jean518 for inspiring this new concept from something in one of the tests. It gave me the idea, when applied over a seam and what it did to the finish.

So, onto the brainstorming...

The finish of the CCH2O application is impacted by pressure. What if we purposely created void areas of pressure??? We tried it, by taking a weeding tool to our print perfect pad and destroying it in a raking and ripping motion...

Then we placed the pad directly under our CCH2O design before pressing, the result was a distressed effect that was directly impacted by the void areas dug out of the pad!!! Pretty cool.

I imagine you can do more unique things be messing with pressure underneath the shirt.

See photos of the pad and the print combined with our Pebble Puff material.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had been thinking about this concept for a while...."What textures could be placed under the shirt to create new H2O finishes?" I was thinking something rough like a roofing shingle, or even lasering patterns onto balsa wood, or something like that. Of course we'd have to use items that could withstand the heat. I definitely think there is potential for many more unique looks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is the perfect pad usable on both sides? so you could destroy one side and still use the other side as flat. Silly question, but I don't have a perfect pad. The distressed look looks great! I have another idea in mind to try a distressed look and will post after I try it. I will be trying mine soon (I received black)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks to jean518 for inspiring this new concept from something in one of the tests. It gave me the idea, when applied over a seam and what it did to the finish.

So, onto the brainstorming...

The finish of the CCH2O application is impacted by pressure. What if we purposely created void areas of pressure??? We tried it, by taking a weeding tool to our print perfect pad and destroying it in a raking and ripping motion...

Then we placed the pad directly under our CCH2O design before pressing, the result was a distressed effect that was directly impacted by the void areas dug out of the pad!!! Pretty cool.

I imagine you can do more unique things be messing with pressure underneath the shirt.

See photos of the pad and the print combined with our Pebble Puff material.
WOW that is sooooo Awesome. It looks so similar to screen print-so now us heat printer people can get a whole new look!!!!!! Great brainstorming

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the perfect pad usable on both sides? so you could destroy one side and still use the other side as flat. Silly question, but I don't have a perfect pad. The distressed look looks great! I have another idea in mind to try a distressed look and will post after I try it. I will be trying mine soon (I received black)
Yes, its usable on both sides, however destroying one side may impact the pressure on the other side, not sure...you may want to distress both sides with different patterns. Looking forward to your idea!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had been thinking about this concept for a while...."What textures could be placed under the shirt to create new H2O finishes?" I was thinking something rough like a roofing shingle, or even lasering patterns onto balsa wood, or something like that. Of course we'd have to use items that could withstand the heat. I definitely think there is potential for many more unique looks!
I know, my mind is racing right now...does anyone have a sandblast rhinestone template material to see if you can cut a distressed pattern and use this beneath the shirt instead of using an entire pad? Not sure if it will be thick enough or not to create the void in pressure...

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have some sandblast material but not sure it will take the heat. I'll try it, though. Another thought would be to use mouse pads, especially the kind that can be sublimated as they are made to take the heat.

All this does get the creative juices flowing.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I know, my mind is racing right now...does anyone have a sandblast rhinestone template material to see if you can cut a distressed pattern and use this beneath the shirt instead of using an entire pad? Not sure if it will be thick enough or not to create the void in pressure...
I have some and will give it a try today. What fun this should be.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As you can imagine lots of folks within our organization are trying this technique out. One of our sales reps Jaime Flores realized that you can reuse a piece a few times and get a more washed effect with each application. Attached are photos of his t-shirt, the front was the original wash and then the back placement was the design cut apart and pressed again at the same settings. Could make for unique prints and best of all no additional costs in material for each print, just more money if you charge your customer:) Thanks Jaime!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

I put some template material on backer board, sliced lines all over it in different directions, put it under my shirt with the vinyl on top and pressed. Got nothing from the template material. Heat and pressure closed up the lines so the template material was smooth when I took it off the heat press. But did get an interesting color variation from the vinyl. One of my cats jumped up on the table to help and crinkled up some of my vinyl. So I just cut out that section and crinkled it some more, put it on a scrap of sweatshirt and pressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
As you can imagine lots of folks within our organization are trying this technique out. One of our sales reps Jaime Flores realized that you can reuse a piece a few times and get a more washed effect with each application. Attached are photos of his t-shirt, the front was the original wash and then the back placement was the design cut apart and pressed again at the same settings. Could make for unique prints and best of all no additional costs in material for each print, just more money if you charge your customer:) Thanks Jaime!

Nice effect and easy to do, like it.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Glad you are having fun with this idea. There are so many ideas in my head that I am having trouble concentrating on anything else. I guess what drove this is the fact that so much material was still on the carrier and the "what happens if I do this?" syndrome that I seem to be afflicted with sometimes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm thinking out loud here but this reusing of the "carrier" might also be applied to sublimation. I have noticed that there is remaining ink on the carrier whenever I have sublimated but I have never tried to use it again.

Curious

·
Registered
391 Posts
I got black also...

Anyways... The perfect pad looks to me like it is just linolem they should have it at your local art store :) we did a type of printing with them in art class last year but dont take my word for it but it should take the heat...

·
Registered
391 Posts
ill list some cool things i think would be amhazing!
Ductape...
Playdoh?
Legos!!!!
one of those things you put your hand in and it makes an outline of it.. (might melt)
Those patteren sheets they use for concrete?
Brass stenciles?
Foam letters?
string?
Ill post more when i can think straight

Alright well... what if you cut an intentional design into a carrier like say A word... would it be slightly darker or lighter were the word is cut out under the shirt?
By the way i successfully did a four seprate pressings from one sheet on my small heat press 12x12

1 - 20 of 35 Posts