T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I went to the NBM show at Long Beach this weekend. I saw an interesting method used to create a rhinestone template with a laser. They simply vector cut the holes all the way through some cardboard stock. They then glued another piece of card stock to the back. No weeding at all. I don't know what they glued with but I expect contact cement would work good. This was in the GCC booth BTW.

-James

· Registered
620 Posts
I cut some of my rhinestone templates from an oilboard stencil material. After the holes have been cut I use a spray adhesive and spray the back of the template then I glue it to a piece of cardboard for a backer. I cut a lot of my custom design orders from this material and save the Hartco 425 for my designs or custom design that will be used again. A 6" x 12" sheet is only $0.15. I purchased 100 sheets for $15 from Klic-N-Kut.com - Computerized Cutting systems and supplies.

· Registered
931 Posts
I cut some of my rhinestone templates from an oilboard stencil material. After the holes have been cut I use a spray adhesive and spray the back of the template then I glue it to a piece of cardboard for a backer. I cut a lot of my custom design orders from this material and save the Hartco 425 for my designs or custom design that will be used again. A 6" x 12" sheet is only $0.15. I purchased 100 sheets for $15 from Klic-N-Kut.com - Computerized Cutting systems and supplies.
How thick is oilboard? I have a laser and have been wondering if it might be a good business to offer a service cutting rhinestone templates. Would 1/16" acrylic work as the template sheet and then apply a backer of oilboard?

· Registered
1,643 Posts

The hot fix tape is easy to pull off of this stuff? (oilboard)

If so, I would love to start cutting some of my RS-Templates out of this and save my expensive hartco. (and, Accugraphic is only about 11 miles from me so no shipping)
:)

· Registered
1,061 Posts
I cut quite a few templates from oil board and it worked great! Your Groove-E has a LOT of power and cutting oil board works just great... definitely easier on a blade than that wicked chipboard that some of my scrapbooking customers want to cut! lol In fact, I tried to persuade a few of them to stop cutting chipboard and cut oil board instead, but the smell of oil board is a BIG turn-off! lol Plus, I doubt that it's acid-free / lignin-free, which is of concern to scrapbookers.

Anyhow, definitely give it a try. But also, get something of a contrasting color to put behind your oil board templates. I made the mistake of using chipboard and then I couldn't easily see which holes were filled with stones. You need to use a color that contrasts with your template material so you can tell if all of the holes are filled. :)

· Registered
620 Posts
I think the oilboard is .015 thickness. The rhinestones catch real nice and the acrylic transfer tape peels off really easy. As far as going through a lot of blades. I have used at least 175 sheets 6 x 12 sheets of the oilboard and have only gone through 2 blades. So cost wise I have spent less than $60 dollars on blades and oilboard and have made a lot of templates.

I did recently purchase a roll of the Hartco 425S material and it is very nice to work with but expensive. I will use that material for my stock designs and any larger run custom designs but for the small run custom orders the oilboard works great and you can't beat the price!

· Registered
1,643 Posts
I think the oilboard is .015 thickness. The rhinestones catch real nice and the acrylic transfer tape peels off really easy. As far as going through a lot of blades. I have used at least 175 sheets 6 x 12 sheets of the oilboard and have only gone through 2 blades. So cost wise I have spent less than $60 dollars on blades and oilboard and have made a lot of templates.

I did recently purchase a roll of the Hartco 425S material and it is very nice to work with but expensive. I will use that material for my stock designs and any larger run custom designs but for the small run custom orders the oilboard works great and you can't beat the price!

Thanks so much!
I think that I will try this.

Ok...I KNOW that this is going to be a REALLY stupid question....so for those of you who want to laugh at my ignorance, have at it. :eek::rolleyes:

Would a "laser" catch the oilboard on fire?

· Registered
2,690 Posts
to actually see how this is done, they (the Chinese companies) use a yellow backer board and a laser system that just screams out the templates as they don't use setting machines, they are to slow, they also have a pretty neat way to register the templates..

Also interesting enough they use corel draw macros for designing

· Registered
931 Posts
Thanks so much!

Ok...I KNOW that this is going to be a REALLY stupid question....so for those of you who want to laugh at my ignorance, have at it. :eek::rolleyes:

No, the laser would not catch the oilboard on fire with proper speed and power settings. A laser will cut paper and matboard no problem.

· Registered
620 Posts
Thanks so much!

I think that there is a video on you tube (not sure which company does it) where they use an oilboard to make their templates. That is where I got the idea from.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Thanks so much!

I don't know about oilboard, but a laser most certainly can catch paper, cardstock, and chipboard on fire. They cut by burning and must be watched constantly. I had a customer buy a KNK three years ago after her house burned down from her laser cutter. She walked out of her office while it was cutting and moments later her entire inventory of paper was on fire and it quickly spread. She and her husband both landed in the hospital attempting to save their pets and most of their home was lost. Very sad story.

· Registered
1,643 Posts
I don't know about oilboard, but a laser most certainly can catch paper, cardstock, and chipboard on fire. They cut by burning and must be watched constantly. I had a customer buy a KNK three years ago after her house burned down from her laser cutter. She walked out of her office while it was cutting and moments later her entire inventory of paper was on fire and it quickly spread. She and her husband both landed in the hospital attempting to save their pets and most of their home was lost. Very sad story.

Oh my....what a terrible thing to happen.

I thought that "lasers" could possibly do this, but then thought "na, not possible".
Thanks for the warning!

(what is the "oil" part of the oilboard?)(what kind I mean)

· Registered
1,643 Posts
How thick is oilboard? I have a laser and have been wondering if it might be a good business to offer a service cutting rhinestone templates. Would 1/16" acrylic work as the template sheet and then apply a backer of oilboard?

Please let me know if the oilboard works on your laser cutter. :) (if you try it)
I am curious now.

Do you have a GCC laser cutter?
If not, what brand do you have?
How do you like it so far?

Do you have a regular cutter as well?

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Oh my....what a terrible thing to happen.

I thought that "lasers" could possibly do this, but then thought "na, not possible".
Thanks for the warning!

(what is the "oil" part of the oilboard?)(what kind I mean)
I believe they use linseed oil. You'll recognize the smell... it's the same board that's always been used for stencils and I remember the smell from when I was a kid. :)

I'm happy to send you some samples! In fact, I'll do it today because I killed a scorpion by the front door this morning and was planning to send that today, too. They can travel together! :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.