T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to embroider a square patches onto standard baseball caps, but the stitching never turns out completely square with the patch.

It's just a simple bean stitch that runs all the way around to tack the patch to the cap.

My assumptions are that it's not straight because of the curve of the cap. I've tried re digitizing (I'm not very experienced with digitizing) with the shape of the square in order to accommodate the curve of the cap, but am doing a larger quantity of hats and the shape still turns out to be inaccurate with each hat.

Any tips on how to embroider an accurate square?

Attached is an example of one of the finished caps.
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 7.22.06 PM.png

Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are not alone. We have struggled with this for years. So frustrating! I will be keeping an eye on this post hoping someone can help! :( (ps....we started using glue on our patches instead of stitching them down because of this nonsense)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why not just use a column stitch to cover the outside edges. Column would be straight and would hide patch edge, so no-one is the wiser!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why not just use a column stitch to cover the outside edges. Column would be straight and would hide patch edge, so no-one is the wiser!
I don't believe its the type of stitch but rather the shape (rectangle or square on a cylindrical hat/hoop. ) They always end up stitching narrower at the top or bottom...never hold the shape of the square or rectangle. (when digitized as a square or rectangle). Any tips on how to digitize for the round shape to keep it square?
I may be incorrect with this, but this is how Im understanding the post/problem.
We have the same issues often with that shape. I'm sure there is a trick....like digitize your square not so symmetrical and it will show up symmetrical. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I see what you're saying... I know if I'm doing a full circle logo on a cap, have found if I stretch the width 1/4", it will look fully round on a cap. I'm sure the same thing applies with a square or rectangle, but haven't ever taken the time to keep testing to find out.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
You are putting a square patch on a round hat. You need to arc the top and bottom.

Reactions: nuthreadz
1 - 6 of 6 Posts