T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive applied for an American Apparel wholesale acct.and catalog but was declined. Here is the email they sent me:

Thank you for your interest in American Apparel.

In reviewing your request for access to our wholesale price list, it has been determined you do not qualify for an account. American Apparel limits access and sales only to the following type of established companies for resale:

· Advertising Specialty Companies (ex. ASI/ PPAI members)

·Embellishing companies (such as screen printers, embroiderers, etc.)

Alternately, you may have your embellisher contact us for the wholesale price list.

If after reading our terms, you feel you do qualify for an account, please respond with a brief explanation.

Cheers!

Denise Ramirez
American Apparel

What should I do?

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Denise what was it that you put on your application for an account, and what type of business are you doing? I will try to help with the answers you give.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im starting a t-shirt business selling my original designs. What should I fill in for:

Type of Business:

Will the product be decorated or embellished:

What Type of Embellishments will be made to the

Garments:

Who will Apply the Embellishment:

Will the product be resold:

Also, is a State Resale Number needed to apply?

Thank you so much for your help.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
What should I fill in for:
Fill in the truth.

It looks like Denise already explained your options in the first e-mail: "have your embellisher contact us for the wholesale price list" or "If after reading our terms, you feel you do qualify for an account, please respond with a brief explanation."

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Type of Business: If memory serves me correct, they want to know if you are an LLC, sole proprietorship, etc.

Will the product be decorated....: Yes

What type of embelishments: Screen print says, digital images, etc.

Who will apply....: Name your vendor

Will the product be resold: Yes, after embellishments

State ID: Yes you need to get a state/local tax license, in addition, to an EIN (Employment Identification Number)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I personally order my wholesale from blankstyle.com They carry both alternative and american apparel. They also have a printable wholesale price list once you make an account (which doesn't require a tax ID or EIN). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So for...

"Who will Apply the Embellishment:"

Just say "myself" or should I say "ABC, LLC" ?

Sorry to be so annoying. I just want to get all of this done ASAP. The right way.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you don't have an EIN and a state vendors license number, they won't grant you an account.

Just an FYI, AA doesn't wholesale all of their garment nor all of the color options for particular garments. Not sure if you knew that, I didn't and the items must customers wanted the most, I can't get without ordering 5000.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If you don't have an EIN and a state vendors license number, they won't grant you an account.

Just an FYI, AA doesn't wholesale all of their garment nor all of the color options for particular garments. Not sure if you knew that, I didn't and the items must customers wanted the most, I can't get without ordering 5000.
Are those styles requiring a large quantity order indicated online, in a printed catalog or elsewhere that account holders can see? This could be a bit frustrating to think that you can source a product your customers want in a small quantity only to be blindsided after an order attempt that it's not available.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just say you are going to be doing the enhancements since wether you do it or not, you are the responsible party for the sale and are therefore responsible for the product.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Are those styles requiring a large quantity order indicated online, in a printed catalog or elsewhere that account holders can see? This could be a bit frustrating to think that you can source a product your customers want in a small quantity only to be blindsided after an order attempt that it's not available.
I didn't know until I actually got the account and logged into the wholesale part of the site and couldn't locate certain colors. I called and that's when they told me.

I got the account because I had a whole organization that wanted a particular garment in a particular color (through visiting the AA website). I didn't think it would be a problem, then it was.

I don't think I've ever encountered another vendor that limits what they wholesale.

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I don't think I've ever encountered another vendor that limits what they wholesale.
I can't think of any in blank apparel, but I've definitely seen it in other fields (including decorated apparel).

But not many vendors offer the range of AA either; what they do offer wholesale is more than most companies. Their business model (wholesale and retail) doesn't really match up with other vendors either, so there's bound to be some differences.

I just see it as them offering even more products to their retail customers. Sometimes it means you miss out on something you want, but I know I'd do the same thing if I were them.

As far as I know everything listed wholesale is available wholesale? The problem only comes if you want something you've seen in a shop or are looking at their retail website.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I didn't know until I actually got the account and logged into the wholesale part of the site and couldn't locate certain colors. I called and that's when they told me.

I got the account because I had a whole organization that wanted a particular garment in a particular color (through visiting the AA website). I didn't think it would be a problem, then it was.

Anyone?
So, the options were to either order at least 5,000 pcs of the tee you wanted for your customer or (possibly) buy the amount you needed at retail price?

·
Registered
347 Posts
@Adriatic-Exactly what I would have had to do. And at the price for the garment, I would have let the customer buy them, and then just did the embellishing. They ended up opting for a different garment.

@Solmu-Yes, everything in the wholesale site is usually available. The customer found the garment they wanted while browsing the retail site. I hadn't worked with AA before, so I didn't know that it was a possibility that I wouldn't be able to get the color my customer wanted. I could get the item, just not the color. The color was key.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They will accept you if you have joined a professional organization like UPIC (free), Sage or ASI. Sage often will give you 30 days access to their software and assign you a number for login. AA will be more likely to accept you as a wholesaler if you show due diligence in becoming a real wholesaler. As a real wholesaler, you will likely be willing to put the effort into becoming involved in these organization that offer resources you would need. You can also get AA through Alpha Shirt or a couple other distributors.

·
Registered
938 Posts
They will accept you if you have joined a professional organization like UPIC (free)
Just an FYI per the UPIC.org site:

"How can I qualify?
As a distributor company you need to be in business for at least three months, have a minimum sales volume of $15,000 and provide copies of invoices from three different promotional products suppliers for at least $100 each, dated within the last six months (sorry, but sample orders do not apply)."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts