T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've been trying to figure this out I've got an inkjet printer Cannon Pixma Mp830 its an older model but I think it should be fine. I tried printing on transperancy and the ink just smudges off. I've played with the settings Tried the phot goss setting and got the same result. Wondering if anyone has used a Cannon Based printer to print on Transperancy type paper. i've printed on Vellum and its fine. Any help would be great, also if you guys recommend an inexpensive inkjet/laser printer that would be great to. Thanks

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ive got a mp160 that ive printed on some brands of onion skin and burned on a screen no problem..(forget trying to do small detail and fine halftones tho').
Ive printed also clear transparencies for a overhead projector with the mp and the c88 and they both did what you described...so I think its your transiencies, if you want to go cheap try a couple brands of onionskin...i used Hilroy sTUDIO tracing paper.
I just bought some silkjet sc4 for my inkjet and it is well worth the price, if your doing fine art...thats the type of stuff you want.

...if you use tracing paper you have to be careful with jamming till you get a good system worked out.
Good Luck

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gerry:

So for fine detail and halftones what do you guys recommend? Or is it just better to source it out.
And what do you mena by onionskin?

PositiveDave:

What do you mean by FINE printers?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Fine is thee brand of ink in some(?) canons, Onionskin is tracing paper available everywhere and if you want some serious images get some sheets or a roll of proper output paper, The Silkjet I bought was a bit over 100.00$ for a 17"x100' roll, they also sell by the sheet for a bit more and it is transparent..but one side has a feel to it..not smooth and plasticky like overhead transparencies, so i assume it has a special coating to be receptive to your inkjet ink.

With the onionskin I was able to hold decent halftones on a 160, I think I used 30lpi and the effect worked..but would not be good for finer art, also i found that i could only coat 1 coat on the printside or burning was a pain..

Cheers,
-g-

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gerry. Where do you get your Silkjet paper from? I'll do a search the transparency paper i tried on didn't have a sticky side to it maybe that could have been th problem I imagine. What setting do you put your cannon inkjet printer on when printing on transperancies? I've tried the glossy phot setting but now i'm thinking it could have been the transperency paper since the one i tried didn't have a 'sticky' side to it. I'm assuming the sticky side is where you print on in your inkjet it allows the ink to be held on the paper.

I'll look for the fine ink never thought of that as well

Again i really aprpeciate your guys' feedback Cheers

·
Registered
911 Posts
I got my silkjet in canada, There are vendors on the left who sell output paper too, I imagine most brands are good if you buy from a reputable source, also i wouldnt spend on ink until you see if your ink works on the new tranparencies first,
What do you use to expose?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my silkjet in canada, There are vendors on the left who sell output paper too, I imagine most brands are good if you buy from a reputable source, also i wouldnt spend on ink until you see if your ink works on the new tranparencies first,
What do you use to expose?
I'm from Canada as well you in the west? I'm in Alberta. If you want to pm me your source by all means. Yea not going to go with the ink route just yet I'm going to try the paper first. I built a custom made light box 48' X 53' I've got 5 ballasts of florecent light fixture all wired. Also using these bulbs:

F40BL BULB - 40W T12 FLUORESCENT BLACKLIGHT LAMP - PHILIPS 391532, GE 10526

This is the first time testing the home built one. Created a vacuum frame/lid using pond liner and garage door sealant. Kind of excited actually

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This guy found a free exposure calculator in case you dont have one,
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-printing/t101203.html

Haha funny you should post that link. Thats what I was trying to print off on the transparency paper. Yea they got stanley's supply and print here where I am. I'm going to check that place out.

Just got my vastex press and dryer i'm itching to try

Also kind of confused with the option of which Silkjet should i go with Dye film or pigment dye film.. whats the difference? I'll check what the canon is MP830 is

·
Registered
911 Posts
It looks like your printer will need the dye papers...which is cheaper too.
That link you posted...is it in canada?
Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pigment/Dye Film... or just Dye Film and how did you know that just googled? Which link are you referring to?

You mean the bulbs no, but they worked out to be way cheaper regardless they shipped through usps. Checked local stores here they were asking for $15-$17 per bulb

·
Registered
911 Posts
You were asking about a printer too? Well I wanted a bigger one and heard about the epson 1400 so i checked them out around my town(where everyone sticks to the MSRP) for 369.00...the morning i was going to buy one i did a quick check on craaigslist and there it was...still in the box for 240.00 and come with photoshop elements and will also print on cd's/dvd's and the little disks,
So i burned some nice big screens with the claria inks that came with it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You were asking about a printer too? Well I wanted a bigger one and heard about the epson 1400 so i checked them out around my town(where everyone sticks to the MSRP) for 369.00...the morning i was going to buy one i did a quick check on craaigslist and there it was...still in the box for 240.00 and come with photoshop elements and will also print on cd's/dvd's and the little disks,
So i burned some nice big screens with the claria inks that came with it.
NICE!!! for $240 thats a steal. Yea I'm thinking the same that I should just get an epson 1400. I'll check out craigslist and ebay. For the foil the one i know is cosmexgraphix they are based out in montreal I bought my equipment and suplies from there (used to live there) I would start there but i'm certain you can get is supplied from montreal/toronto. And I know which type of foil you're talking about... the one where you screen the adhesive on the shirt first then place the foil and go through the heat press?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You know what i'm worried about on my exposure unit i used plexi glass instead of normal glass b/c of the size of the unit. I'm wondering if that would reduce the UV rays considerably.

Oh vastex V2000 6 color press

Do you use any rip software?

·
Registered
911 Posts
we use plexi and lexan quite a bit here and do believe it does have uv blockers, you will want clear glass too because alot of what ive see is it also has uv protectors..it sounds like a nice big unit... id be worried if the glass could take the stress covering such a large area...have a freind who's brother lost his life tripping and falling into his large aquarium...but you probably have it figured out.
I have cosmex bookmarked so will look more into their stuff, Thanks. How about koozies? The place i was going to buy from closed shop sometime last winter.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont use a rip, you can make halftones in Corel, but i do have this
advancedtshirts.com - Bundles
Simple seps and fashion factory...simple seps does it for you.
And he's got a boatload of tuts online

Cool thanks Gerry! You've been totally awesome man. How long have you been in the industry? Yea I was worried about the glass too but its a fairly big unit i built. I'm actually happy with it. Its funny when you look at the DIY and the guys in the sates say they bought or made their exposure unit for $100. It ended up costing me $450 the plexi ballasts and lighting were about $250 of the cost

Do you use MSN Gerry? Yea I'm currenty using illustrator/photoshop right now I'll check out that link.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts