T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there! Just stumbled on these forums - what a great resource! I am launching an ecommerce store (sickonskin.com) that will have shirts with my own transfer designs. Or that was the plan was anyway. Who knew it would be so hard to find places in Canada that make high opacity, multi-colour transfers! Waa. :(

My reason for going with transfers was so I didn't have to guess at what shirt sizes I should get screenprinted. I also wanted to be able to have about 18 designs (to start) that were on several colours and styles of shirts. Plus, several of my designs have 5-6 colours.

Can anyone recommend any Canadian companies? Failing that, I would be willing to look into an American company (ug - duty charges!). I saw Silver Mountain mentioned a lot on these boards - but do they do Pantone colours (on their site they only listed a few colours and I use a wide range of colours)? Does anyone have experience with Instragraph (Heat Seal Machines, Custom Transfers, Custom Artwork, and Stock Letters and Numbers) - their Super Flex and Super Opaque appeal to me.

I should mention that a lot of my designs use white or light colours and will be put largely on 100% cotton black shirts.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If you're doing that many colors, you'll probably want to get an inkjet printer with pigmented inks and print them yourself. 5 or 6 colors in small quantitys is nasty price-wise, even without the duty fees.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Twinge said:
If you're doing that many colors, you'll probably want to get an inkjet printer with pigmented inks and print them yourself. 5 or 6 colors in small quantitys is nasty price-wise, even without the duty fees.
I thought printing on black couldn't be done on a home inkjet setup?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Twinge for your suggestion. I am actually looking to get plastisol transfers made as I need the designs to be high quality and good weight/thickness. I want to get several designs ganged onto a sheet (I am able to fit 5 of my designs on a 14 X 18 sheet) so it doesn't end up being that much.

The one place I have been looking into is Starline Pacific - their cost for 6 colours on a 14 X 18 sized sheet is $4.13 / 100. I have had mixed results with my samples from them (some adhere well - others don't transfer completely) - this is likely due to my inexperience using my press, however I would like to try out samples from other places before settling. :)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Man this is an old thread.

Let me bring it up to date.

Jen from sickonsin (a canadian brand) found us here on the forums when she was looking to get transfers made. She in fact was the person who turm me on to this board. Thanks Jen.

So, as some of you may have noticed, some of the transfer sample photos on the board are from sickonsin. Like this one below from an old post.

You can always count on Lucy being around when the "hot-peels dont work on black shirts" gets mentioned. Stay with it T-Bot and eventually everyone will become aware of what is available today!

(c) sickonsin

Now a few years later, jen and her partner are not only great artists but the best people you will ever find.

Keep up the great work jen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts