T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I go about sharpening / sanding down my squeegees to get a nice sharp edge on them? I bought a new one the othe day and boy what a difference! Can I sharpen my older ones to get more life out of them?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've seen tips for vinyl sign installers to sharpen them with fine wet/dry sandpaper on thick plate (float) glass (which is also how you sharpen knives to ridiculous levels). Wonder if that would work for screengees.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It is very hard to sharpen squeegees with sand paper once they have rounded edges or nicks. You can keep them sharp by dressing them with sandpaper after each use but the key is keeping the edge square. To do this glue or use self stick cloth sand paper (emery cloth) to one inside edge of a piece of aluminum angle. You want to use aluminum angle because it will have a perfectly square inside angle.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Here's a video from Roger Jennings that will show you a homemade squeegie sharpener at about the 2:30 mark:
http://vimeo.com/6882534

Most of my older squeegies aren't in horribly bad shape but haven't been maintained, and I can tell you that drawing them over a piece of 230 grit sandpaper a few times noticeably sharpens the edge. If yours are rounded, either send them out to be resharpened, or buy new ones. I've started doing it before every job. Draw your finger across the edge. You should be able to feel your fingerprints catch on the edge.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I just picked up a used 36" squeegee sharpener yesterday. You can sharpen with sand paper and as mentioned square is key. There is a thread here that had a pic of a DIY sharpener. If I find it I'll post back.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
+1 comments to keep them sharp--much easier than making up for lost maintenance. I'd love to get a benchtop--but running out of benchtop to put it. :)

It is quite possible to take a dull squeegee to a sharp edge, but it will affect how it prints when you get there, and may not be worth the time, considering what new squeegee material goes for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.