T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I use a cardboard that's in the shape of a tshirt to assist in setting the shirt on straight. But I typically take the card board out before I press it. Can the shirt be pressed (with vinyl) while the cardboard is still inside the shirt? it would save me time since I press a design on the front, back and an inside neck label.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
That's an unusual way of doing it.
Can you not just put the shirt flat on a table, tape the transfer on it, and then moving it to the press?

Anyway, pressing it with the cardboard inside is not a good idea, but you could put the rubber pad on top of the cardboard and inside the shirt.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The problem with the cardboard is you may get some glue seepage onto it through the T, you could alleviate that by sticking parchment paper to your cardboard. It will also get pretty hot & hold heat longer than the T. Just use an old T shirt & give it a bash.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
~ grab the shirt in both hands equidistant from the collar edge on both sides
~ pull the shirt up the bottom platen towards the back keeping your hands equidistant from the center of the platen
(my hix swingman has a center post, but if yours does not make a permanent mark there)

place design upside down where you think center is, and now measure with a ruler to the edge of the platen and/or edge of t-shirt hem

how close were you?
you should be close because you now have a visible centerline at the back of your platen
this is only for you to test how to place the design without the pain of lifting off the tee and adjusting
simply practice this with a few different designs until you get a feel for it
then you will be surprised how little adjusting you need to do after awhile

if you have a laptop keep it handy and have your design onscreen with a horizontal red guide visible at the center point of the design, this will help you when centering designs with a hard to determine center with the platen center

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Actually, I don't understand where the problem is.
I know some people insist doing things their own way... but what is the point of centering the shirt on the heat press?
The important thing is to center the transfer to the shirt, and there is a nifty trick for it.
1. Fold the shirt from side to side, and press it. This will create a crease line in the middle.
2. Fold the transfer and crease the center at the top and bottom.
Now you can center the transfer of the shirt, and the only thing you have to measure is the distance from the neckline.

If you have many shirts and transfers to do, you can crease them all first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts