T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can selling t-shirts online become your full-time job? If anyone has any comments please reply.

How many shirts does it take to support one-self? Obviously profit is key factor here - so - what are typical profit levels and t-shirt sales that have made this possible for some of you here?

What's the "level" you can walk away from your day-job and start doing this full-time?

www.tshirthub.com

·
Registered
250 Posts
It depends largely on profit margins and the ability to push your average monthly sales to a number you feel comfortable with. There are no quarantees with ecommerce.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
That depends how much you want to make? For me, I would need to sell 60 shirts a week on average to make a 25,000 a year salary. Sometimes, I do sell that many, but sometimes I sell less than 20 in a week. The problem with having this type of business as your only source of income, is that there is no gaurantees on how much you will make. There are many people however that make a fortune in the tee business. So...yes it is possible, but it is very hard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I find myself constantly crunching the numbers....I obviously need to start with solid t-shirts and a good site. I'm working with a Yahoo store right now - has anyone had a good experience with selling tees on Yahoo?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sure it can be a full time job, it is mine :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm new to this, but it seems like if you have a lot of good designs and good marketing, you can make a pretty good living at it. I love this job! I just finished re-learning Adobe Illustrator and making my first t-shirt design. I used to make graphics with illustrator just for fun! I love spending my time coming up with good t-shirt ideas and making the designs. Right now this is my dream job. I'm having a blast! Just a few minutes ago I was LMAO at something funny I found that would make a good t-shirt.

It sure beats making fine art one painting at a time and trying to sell it for a decent price on Ebay! I used to go to a message board where people did that and they were moaning and whining constantly about how hard it is to make money doing that. It seems like the t-shirt business is much better. It's a lot less work to make a design and if it's a hit, you can just sell it over and over. I don't see that atmosphere of desperation and misery around here that there is with the Ebay artists.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Well usually people in ebay are going to be looking for a deal or bargain, so I imagine it'd definately be pretty tough to make much selling art there. If you could find a way to sell some at more tradtional outlets (uh, art shows? I dunno much about that scene) you can do okay. One of my friend's parents are both artists full-time =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts