T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...I have not visited this forum for some time now. I have really been getting back into the screenprinting business lately. I have a regular job so this is sorta just a supplement to my income. I purchased the 4 color one station table top press from silkscreeningsupplies.com about a year and a half ago. It has been pretty good to me. I think im getting ready to upgrade though. I have a decent exposure unit, the flash dryer as well.

I am now getting to that point where I expect better quality work from myself. I would now say im somewhat experienced and know im not going to lose interest. I think upgrading my equipment will obviously help accomplish better quality. I would like to leave my day job soon enough and continue with this business (I make signs too) I put this all down for awhile but my cousin works for a corporate office for Valvoline. She is in charge of odering stuff and has been giving me about $2000 in business a month for the last two months. She just ordered 1400 tee shirts for 2 grand openings. They are giving me $6 per shirt. Her office is in charge of 3 locations and once the 2 grand openings happen 5 locations. I have been making shirts for AAMCO and the oil change guys.

I was coating some screens I noticed my emulation is really pastey and leaving tons of pin holes when I burn the screens. I bought this stuff well over a year ago and paid $50 so I have been getting by and just doing tons of touch ups with tape and that other red stuff. The other problem I am facing is how i make my transparency's. Along with screen printing I make decals. I use the black vinyl and make a decal to put on the transparency and thats how I burn my screens. It's not really cost effective, and it takes forever, but most of all it cuts down the quality of my work. I would like to be able to create more detailed shirts.

So...I guess im looking for some guidence on where to go from here...What should I buy for equipment?

Also another problem im facing is where to buy my supplies from. I really like silkscreeningsupplies.com but they are too expensive for shipping and it takes forever. I can get my shirts here in 2 days cheaply but it costs me $13 for shipping on a quart of ink and takes 10 days to get here...Thanks for any help in advance....Nick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where are you located? If your emulsion is a year old and has been sensitized the whole time then it is probably on the way out. Just get some more emulsion and it should solve the problem

A lot of suppliers deliver these days just depending on where you live. They also can provide you with a lot of valuable information.

As far as you "positives" go, you could start by getting some vellum and using a lazer printer to print out your positives. If your positives don't come out dark enough to "shoot" your screens you might need to go to the hardware store and get some spray laquer and "lightly" spray it over the image ( do not over spray) and it will darken the image.

Hope this helps.

Rick

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
As far as films go...I've used both an Epson C88 and 1400 printer using the Ryonet waterproof R-Film without having to double up my films. I use the phot glossy / best photo settings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts