T-Shirt Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions regarding the copyrights of photographs on the internet. If I want to use a picture that I found and it is on a random website with no information pertaining to the photographer or copyrights, is it fair game? How do companies get these pictures on there? And if I work with it a little, and change some details.. would that be ok? It seems blurry to me. Definitely need some help :)

EX:
[media]http://store01.prostores.com/digitalgravel/catalog/tshirt_gotlovegryac_complete.jpg[/media]

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Re: Printing Photographs.

I have some questions regarding the copyrights of photographs on the internet. If I want to use a picture that I found and it is on a random website with no information pertaining to the photographer or copyrights, is it fair game? How do companies get these pictures on there? And if I work with it a little, and change some details.. would that be ok? It seems blurry to me. Definitely need some help :)

EX:
[media]http://store01.prostores.com/digitalgravel/catalog/tshirt_gotlovegryac_complete.jpg[/media]
Stay away from any picture you find on the internet. Your just setting yourself up for a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts

If it is not yours then it belongs to someone. Not to be harsh, but it is easy to get your own stuff or to use art free of royalty. And yes you can attract trouble with internet art.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts

I would absolutely not just assume it is ok. I have photos posted online and just because I dont have a copywrite on them does not mean I dont own them :) in fact I can guarrentee that I have all the original files from my photos and can prove they are mine, even though you cant see that info just from seeing my pics :) Basically my example was that just because there is no ownership posted with the pic itself does not mean someone will not come after you for taking it.

·
Registered
138 Posts

All works are automatically copyrighted once they are created. You don't need to say it. You don't need the copyright symbol. They are copyrighted by virtue of their creation with rights vesting in the creator.

However, to enforce a copyright in court, you would need to register them.

Adding warnings to your work, i.e. copyrighted 2008 by John Doe, or the copyright symbol works as a deterent for people taking your stuff without your permission. I would imagine that's why most people put the copyright warning on their stuff, particularly on the internet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
unless you pay for them and have that in righting that you paid for it and its yours with both creator and owner(you) signing and agreeing..........................JMO

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I refuse to even make a shirt with a photo on it without a signed release at this point. It's too easy to get caught up in leagal issues. .... JB

·
Registered
42 Posts
legal world .....

if u print 100K pieces, earn a 1 MIL..u may get a lawer to help u..

if u print 1-2 pieces, ...who care ...?

·
Registered
721 Posts
It's not fair game, it's not worth the risk, and I would certainly go after anyone who used one of my designs without my permission.

I had a guy e-mail me about doing a shirt for him...a black image on a blue shirt. When he sent me the graphic, it was a picture of Bob Dylan. I told him that I could not reproduce that image on a shirt for him.

Yea...it's only one shirt; but I don't have the "right" to sell that image.

I told him "I can't get Tangled Up in (that) Blue (shirt)". I figured if he didn't get that reference, he didn't deserve a Bob Dylan shirt anyhow.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
legal world .....

if u print 100K pieces, earn a 1 MIL..u may get a lawer to help u..

if u print 1-2 pieces, ...who care ...?
The owner of the image will care, the court will care and if you get caught you will care. The bottom line is,it's illegal if you get caught. You sale 1 garment to the wrong person and your busted. .... JB

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Irrespective of any legal issues, images from the Internet are very low resolution and simply not suitable for reproduction. Blow up a thumbnail at 72dpi to fit onto a tee and you'd soon find out why it isn't feasible on a practical level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forums are a pretty good source to get an idea on any topic. However, from my experience it is always best to do your own research. Contact a lawyer if you need to. There are many websites that have professionals, such as lawyers, giving free advice.

Just google copyright infringement laws and I'm sure you can find an answer their.

From my experinece, if you change the image then you just created something new and it is now yours to do what you want with it. Take a look at "designer inspired" anything. Sunglasses, purses, hats, shirts.. you name it. They all used a previous image from the original creater to create something new and its legal. DG sunglasses come to mind on this one. No, not Dolce & Gabanna, but DG... the inspired knock off.

However, it is a GRAY area and there are regulations on how much changing you have to do.

Bottom line, make your own judgement on whats right or wrong because the court will decide in the end.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
From my experinece, if you change the image then you just created something new and it is now yours to do what you want with it.
I'm not sure the courts would agree with that.

There's no percentage rule that you can change something that would make it yours.

But as many have said, forums are not the place to get legal advice. The rule of thumb here is to air on the safe side that is less likely to get you sued.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.