T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up Board !!

Just wondering...I noticed how none of the kits include conveyor dryers. Can I use a flash/cure dryer to dry completed shirts until I can afford a conveyor dryer.
If so, what's the best technique ?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I know its possible, but most people don't do it because it takes time. And how long it takes depends on the ink and how thick of a deposit it is.

I'm in the same situation as you though. I'm just getting a flash cure unit to start because I don't want to put the money down for a conveyor dryer until I need it.

I spoked with Ranar the other day and they said it usually takes around 25-30 seconds to cure a shirts with a cure unit, not sure if this is correct, just what I've heard.

Another problem is you need to make sure not to keep the cure unit over the wooden shirt board too long because it will warp from the heat. I remember someone on these boards having a "curing table" where he would cure the shirt on a separate table rather than keeping it on the board and risk warping it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
identityburn said:
I spoked with Ranar the other day and they said it usually takes around 25-30 seconds to cure a shirts with a cure unit, not sure if this is correct, just what I've heard.
I still cure with flash dryer on small runs 1 or 2 dozen shirts... Heres a couple tips that will help you..... First Most flash dryers are around 18" square so if its a large print you need to make sure that the outside edges of the print reach 320 also you may have to move the dryer a bit to make sure these areas get cured...
I use a Laser Temp gun to moniter it.... if you just leave it centered till the outside reaches 320 you risk scorching the center of the shirt..... Once the flash unit is up to speed then 20 to 30 second cures are realistic if the flash is appx 5" above the table. if your curing a small chest or pocket print 10 to 15 seconds is realistic...
For flashing I have the flash dryer about 2 1/2 to 3 inches above Platen and usually flashes in about 5 seconds.... again a temp gun is almost a must..
identityburn said:
Another problem is you need to make sure not to keep the cure unit over the wooden shirt board too long because it will warp from the heat. I remember someone on these boards having a "curing table" where he would cure the shirt on a separate table rather than keeping it on the board and risk warping it.
Platen heatup is your single biggest problem.... Its almost impossible to prevent if your gonna try to full cure on the platen....and leads to a whole list of other problems for you....warpage, ink geling in screen, back flashing and etc...
Its really not they way to go..... besides using a seperate table will allow you to leave the dryer at one height set it for your press platen 2 1/2 inches then make your table so it sits at 5".... I have a 4' by 8' table and i can be curing one shirt and still printing and laying the next beside it waiting its turn under the flashdryer.. This works great for small runs... with two people on the press, one printing and one pulling them off and curing we can knock out a small order of a dozen shirts in about 5 or 6 minutes. Faster then the conveyor can heat up...

·
Registered
227 Posts
identityburn said:
Thanks for clearing all that up, Chuck. Any kind of material you recommend for the curing table?
I made my table top out of normal plywood then covered it with washable shower stall paneling it is carryed by Lowes and Home depot stores.... its about 10.00 for aq 4x8 sheet and its basically the same exact stuff they make Dry Erase Bulletin boards out of...... glued it down over the plywood with elmer wood glue and Put a bunch of heavy stuff on the table overnight.... Have been using it for a long time and havent had any warpage.... discoloration or anything... and seeing as its shower stall Paneling its extremely easy to keep clean..... anything gets on it .... a damp cloth or a little spray of windex and it looks like the day it was new...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts