T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I made my 200 mile round trip to see my clients I was thinking that with gas prices being what they are I would bet more people are going to do shopping on line. That would be nice. If anyone else travels I will recommend keeping the speed down to 55. My SUV would normally use a tank of gas from Stockton Ca to Auburn, Ca and back with all freeway driving. So today I took the back roads and kept the speed down to 55. It took longer but I only used a little more than half tank of gas. Amazing.

·
2,957 Posts
I don't know if it will really keep people from shopping locally. I guess it would depend on how far they had to go.

I've got an SUV, and the gas prices haven't stopped my driving habits at all. I don't really think about it much.

From my driveway to the parking lot at my job is 35 miles. So shopping online instead of going to the local mall, to save on gas, doesn't cross my mind at all.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Hehe, I made a similar drive yesterday to pick up some t-shirts, Lou. From Sacramento to Chico (went down 5).

When I got gas, it was the first time in a loooong time that I've ever noticed gas prices. I don't do a lot of driving normally anyway, but I can see how it would make someone double think a trip.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After retiring that was one of the reason I left LA. People are crazy down there. How could you ever go more than 55. I worked at the VA at whilshire and 405. I looked out over the 405 freeway after 2 PM.. oh I mean the parking lot called the 405.. For you folks in other parts of the world..Our highways(Freeways) are called by numbers

·
Registered
15 Posts
fizz said:
You guys wanna try driving over here in london.
£8 to have the privalige of being stuck in traffic in central london.
Diesel at 0.99pence for a litre!!!

You guys in the states aint got it to bad.
Ain't that the truth, most people in the states would have a fit if they had to fill at our prices....:)

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
What's a litre ;)

Just kidding. I actually used to live in the UK for a few years.

I don't remember the traffic much (I was a kid), but I remember the crazy round-a-bouts (which have snuck their way over to the US now)

·
2,957 Posts
Not me! I love mine! Plenty of room for the kids and the rottie.

I can get 20mpg on the highway, and I've got a 26 gallon tank.

If I fill up on Sundays, it gets me through the week.

Gas here in my area is at $2.73/gallon today. If gas were $2.00/gallon before, compared to the $2.73/gallon now, I'm spending an extra $20 each time I fill up. That's not really a big deal to me.

Especially not enough for me to say I'd rather buy clothes online, pay the $5 for shipping rather than drive down to the mall and use gas.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
don't they use Moon Shine for gas in Tennessee. $2.73 a gallon?.. I wish.. here in Stockton, Ca.. That is in northern California for the rest of the world, gas is at $3.25 and going up daily..

·
Registered
690 Posts
My truck gets about 21mpg, the wife's Corolla gets about 39mpg, bike gets about 50mpg :D Gas price is at about $3.30 here this morning in So Cal and we can only move serveral inches per hour on the freeways here :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm glad I live in a smaller city. We don't have freeways here. It takes 15 minutes to get to anywhere, no matter where your starting point is. Although they are building more and more every second. Our gas price is $2.96 for regular. I can fill the tank and drive at least a week. But I don't own an SUV. I have a camry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you 'lucky' americans ready for this???

We pay $8.50 per gallon for petrol in the UK!!

Yes you DID hear me correctly...

We have a chancellor- turned- prime minister ,(President) , and he seems hell bent on stripping us of every penny we can hardly earn!!!

Gordon Brown, If you frequent these t-shirt forums, (to spy on what we earn etc..) Please throw us a freaking bone here!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Today when I made my 200 mile round trip to see my clients I was thinking that with gas prices being what they are I would bet more people are going to do shopping on line. That would be nice. If anyone else travels I will recommend keeping the speed down to 55. My SUV would normally use a tank of gas from Stockton Ca to Auburn, Ca and back with all freeway driving. So today I took the back roads and kept the speed down to 55. It took longer but I only used a little more than half tank of gas. Amazing.

you need to get one of these!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't worry, we have politicians over here that want to take away the profits made by oil companies for use on alternative energy sources...that's smart, the government could NEVER do a better job of research than private industry. Needless to say, Exxon already paid over $30,000,000,000 in taxes. Yes, that is BILLION, not MILLION. On not much more profit than they were making per gallon before, their not the ones inflating the prices.

The government does nothing to help us, then when you make money, they stand their with their hands out, or they just go into your account and take it.

I can't wait for the Fair Tax, the largest transfer of power to the people in our country since well...the beginning.

·
Registered
83 Posts
$2.73...So thats about £1.40 for one of your gallons :p , and a gallon is just under 4 litres. So that means a litre is around £0.35 if my maths is right.

I pay £1.01 now....

not a wonder you all can drive cars with 6 litre engines :p ....oh btw that makes me think, why do you call a car a "6 litre" if you arent metric and use gallons??? :D

I'm off to have a royale with cheese now :D:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't worry, we have politicians over here that want to take away the profits made by oil companies for use on alternative energy sources...that's smart, the government could NEVER do a better job of research than private industry. Needless to say, Exxon already paid over $30,000,000,000 in taxes. Yes, that is BILLION, not MILLION. On not much more profit than they were making per gallon before, their not the ones inflating the prices.

The government does nothing to help us, then when you make money, they stand their with their hands out, or they just go into your account and take it.

I can't wait for the Fair Tax, the largest transfer of power to the people in our country since well...the beginning.
I totally agree!

It's getting rediculous.

·
Registered
274 Posts
hmmm... this sort of thing really bugs me about Americans. They'd rather drive their gas guzzlers, living in inefficient McMansions, leave all of the lights on instead of making changes in their lives to better the whole planet.

The amount of oil, let alone gas we use is absolutely out of control. We are incredibly wasteful and always want, want, want, more, more, more.

I'm getting a badge on my MINI that says "your SUV is a POS".

1 - 20 of 48 Posts