T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new and just learning right now before buying equipment. Could be a stupid question but can you use the same printer for heat transfers for both sublimation and regular ink if the printer is able to do both or do I need two separate printers. Also, I have an Epson 4680 right now that I have had - would I be able to use that for now until I purchase something better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You will waste a lot of ink by switching back and forth and sublimation ink is very expensive to do that with. Since you already have an Epson, I would just pick up another one and use one for sublimation and the other for regular transfers. Check the Epson website in the clearance section, you can pick one up for as low as $50 with free shipping. Or check craigslist, I got a used c88+ for $15. Ordered refill cartridges and now use that one for sublimation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will waste a lot of ink by switching back and forth and sublimation ink is very expensive to do that with. Since you already have an Epson, I would just pick up another one and use one for sublimation and the other for regular transfers. Check the Epson website in the clearance section, you can pick one up for as low as $50 with free shipping. Or check craigslist, I got a used c88+ for $15. Ordered refill cartridges and now use that one for sublimation.
Thank you for the information - do you think I can use my all-in-one 4680 that I currently have say for the regular ink transfers and then just purchase a sublimation comp. one?

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
You can do this if you use a different printing software to tell the printer to pull ink from 4 specific channels. More importantly, you do not have to remove the inks - both ink sets will be in the printer at the same time. This does not work on all the printers - just the ones that have printing software designed for hybrid printers. Do a search on "hybrid printers" in this forum or read - MultiRIP Hybrid Dual Ink RIP Software - Epson Digital Printers.

Mark

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The printer you have is not a hybrid so buying hybrid software will not help you but Epson does sell a hybrid which is the 4800. You can use both inks in that printer but I think that printer is around $1900. If you have it then go for it, if not then I would not try to convert your 4680 into sublimation as I have not had great success when switching an Epson all in one over to sublimation. (The model was a NX515, never could get it to print with sublimation ink) I would get a cheap used one off epson.com, craigslist or ebay and convert that one to sublimation. Epson has a sale on a refurbished workforce 30 for $49 with free shipping. Since you are just getting started this may be the better way to go then as your business expands go for the hybrid. This way you can use your 4680 for heat transfers and regular office printing.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The printer you have is not a hybrid so buying hybrid software will not help you but Epson does sell a hybrid which is the 4800. You can use both inks in that printer but I think that printer is around $1900. If you have it then go for it, if not then I would not try to convert your 4680 into sublimation as I have not had great success when switching an Epson all in one over to sublimation. (The model was a NX515, never could get it to print with sublimation ink) I would get a cheap used one off epson.com, craigslist or ebay and convert that one to sublimation. Epson has a sale on a refurbished workforce 30 for $49 with free shipping. Since you are just getting started this may be the better way to go then as your business expands go for the hybrid. This way you can use your 4680 for heat transfers and regular office printing.

Good Luck!
Thank you - since I have a small budget right now I think that is what I am going to do - use my current printer for regular heat transfers and get a workforce 30 for the sublimation. Does the sublimation ink come in cartridges just like a regular ink cartridge?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thank you - since I have a small budget right now I think that is what I am going to do - use my current printer for regular heat transfers and get a workforce 30 for the sublimation. Does the sublimation ink come in cartridges just like a regular ink cartridge?
Not not at all, it comes with regular pigment ink. you will have to buy empty refill cartridges and sublimation ink.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Or skip thge Epsons and clogging...check out Ricoh e3300 and GX7000..faster and no clogging..at least none for me in a year

·
Registered
396 Posts
CHARLES95405, can the Ricoh e3300n be used for sublimation mug transfers and for regular t-shirt transfers?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi Mark, I'm thinking of switching over my 4800 Flexi to do both transfer for sublimation mugs/plates and t-shirts. Would your Multi RIP facilitate this move? If not which of these printers would you reccomend, Ricoh e3300n or Epson workforce 1100?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts