T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to buy an inexpensive heat press to make T-shirts with my wife a daughter just for fun (but I'd like the end product to last). I found what seems like a good deal on a 15" x 15" press, but I can't find any info online about the model. Seller doesn't know the manufacturer. Here are the pics I have:

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you may be able to offer.

· Registered
637 Posts
It's hard to tell from such small pictures... could you post a little more detail? :) I'm just kidding. They're HUGE! To me it looks like an earlier Chinese heat press but maybe someone really knows what it is. That's just a guess. I'd be careful of the timer and heat controller they look quite old.

· Registered
29 Posts
Pics are kinda dark, but it looks a lot like a Chinese one I bought on eBay. The only complaint I have is that the pressure adjustment is sometimes a pain to turn. Other than that, it heat evenly and does a fine job for the price.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow... didn't realize how enormous the pics were on here. Sorry about that!

Thanks for the feedback, friends. The seller is asking for $100. Seems like a decent
deal from other prices I've seen around. Do you guys agree?

· Registered
26 Posts
I would make sure that it heats up evenly, use one of those Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer With Laser Targeting guns from Harbor Freight it'll tell you if the temperature is even though out , other than that $100 is not a bad price.

Good Luck

· Registered
130 Posts
It's Chinese press. Quality is reasonable, and you can expect it to last for a few years (or a few months).
Here's what you need to be aware of:

1. The element is embedded in the heat platten. Using a sand mould, molten aluminium is poured over what's essentially a home oven type element. When it cools, it's sanded down to make the heat platten. This is the way that USA presses were made a decade or more ago. If the element burns out, toss the press and buy another.

2. The place where the electrical wires connect to the element is prone to problems. Sometime the contact with break and need to be resoldered.

3. The Temp controller can burn out (failure rates in my experience around 10%). An off the shelf controller can be put in its place (make sure you buy the correct one for the thermocouple they use).

4. The Contacter (like a relay) has been known to fail. Again an off the shelf replacement.

For the price, you're getting plenty of bang, but don't for one moment expect the same reliability as a USA product. USA suppliers generally give a life time warranty on their elements. These kind of presses come with a 6 month warranty. That alone should tell you something.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again, everybody. This is fantastic information and will definitely help me determine which way I go. $100 would be a good deal if it works well... but it might be better to put that $100 towards a better unit that will give me more piece of mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.