T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This font was once used extensively in screen printing T-shirts (specifically school sports-related T-shirts); at least it was around here.

Here is an image of an old shirt that used this font:

And here is an image from where I traced the layout, including the letters (the oulined block letters; not the "Boys Class B" text; which is Times New Roman I think):

I assume that design wasn't created on a computer. I'd guess that it was layed out with physical letters and photographed to make the film for screen printing.

In any event, I'd like to find the font. I've found quite a few similar fonts; but the exact font has eluded me for years now.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like "Varsity" font. You can download it free from dafont.com. You can also search under theme Old School.
You mean this?

If so, that isn't it; though it is one of the many close fonts that I have found.

I did find this page. In examples #2 and #3, the "S" and "R" look like a match, as do the other relevant letters (though the serifs on the "T" are a little short). The outline style is different, but that is probably just a variation. They are calling it "Athletic Block", but I'm not finding anything relevant in a Google search.

The shirt was made in 1986, in all likelihood from die-cut letters that were photographed to make the screen. They had to buy the letters somewhere; so I doubt I'll find it on a free font site. I'm willing to pay for the font (or even for a set of the die-cut letters); if only I could find it.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I have seen a version of Varsity on individual embroidered letters that is real close. The S has the little serifs on each end. I cant find a downloadable font that is the same Varsity. The Varsity I have doesnt have the serifs on the S. There is another font called Athletic Block you could search for.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen a version of Varsity on individual embroidered letters that is real close. The S has the little serifs on each end. I cant find a downloadable font that is the same Varsity. The Varsity I have doesnt have the serifs on the S. There is another font called Athletic Block you could search for.
Like here? Not counting the outline style, the "S" in examples #2 and #3 looks like a match; the "R" is a good match too. They call it "Athletic Block", but that seems to be a generic term, because this is also called "Athletic Block" and it is a different font altogether; and this "Athletic Block" is different still.

The "Athletic Block" on this page looks like it might be it too, but it is embroidery again.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I am looking at an old sample pack of heatpress numbers from Stahls and right here it is. The names and numbers are called player perfect heatpress vinyl. I dont know the font name but it looks like your deal

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am looking at an old sample pack of heatpress numbers from Stahls and right here it is. The names and numbers are called player perfect heatpress vinyl. I dont know the font name but it looks like your deal
Like here? It shows 8 fonts available for the "Player Perfect" heatpress vinyl; and "Varsity" looks to be the closest. The "S" is right (aside from the length of the serifs), but the "G" is wrong. The "G" on my old T-shirt has the notched serif on the bottom and the 45 degree angle on the top, while Stahl's Varsity Font "G" has the notched serif on the top, and the 45 degree angle on the bottom:

The biggest difference is the "G".

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts