T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm adding printing on mugs to my business. It will mostly be printing photoes on mugs using sublimation process. I already have a 4-year-old, 6-colors Epson 1290 that I stopped using for a few months now.

My question is: can I add a bulk ink system to it and use it to print on the transfer paper? I read alot that a bulk ink system will not be a good idea for a printer that is not a wide format, and I'm not even sure if there are sublimation cartridges for it. If not, I'm going to buy an Epson WF 30.

I'll appreciate it if someone adviced me on the best ink and paper for mugs.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

·
Banned
2,512 Posts
Bulk systems, for the most part, are a disaster. Might as well open your wallet and throw your money in a garbage disposal. When starting out in sublimation it is best to make it as bullet proof as possible and later explore options. Cartridges are a bit costly but mugs use so little ink that your cost per mug is not going to a huge factor in your cost equation. As you get more comfortable you can look at refilable cartridges, etc. The most important thing to know is if you are just starting in dye sublimation you need a vendor to hold your hand. There are many factors that need to come together in producing a quality product and without the support of a vendor you will lose a lot of money and time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the advice and yes I will take it. I guess I'll start searching for the nearest supplier to buy Epson WF 30. The ink and paper will have to be bought online.

You know you gave me a depression with what you wrote about vendors holding my hand because there are NO vendors around me. I live in KSA and sublimation, DTG, and screeing are so rare that finding good quality suppliers is next to impossible. Sure it's there but everyone get thier supplies from outside Saudi Arabia. I'm going to buy my printer from Dubai since I can't find it in stors here and I can't get hold of the official Epson distributor. My blanks are coming from Al-Sharqa (a state in Emarets), and my inks will probably come from BestBlank since they are the nearest to MyUS.

However, I will try to make it work. So, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
I use my Epson 1290 (1280 US) for all my sublimation work. The main problem is that you must use this every day otherwise the heads block or the cartridge dries out. It also invalidates any warranty. Any bulk ciss system will do but (and it is a big one) because of patent laws it is illegal to fill this system with sawgrass (artanium) ink or any other dye sub ink. There are some suppliers who will sell you bulk dye sub ink but they are in breach of patent laws unless the ink is for use in a wide format printer. Sawgrass sometimes insist that you supply the serial number and model of the wide format printer it is for, to your supplier before purchase. However some suppliers in the far east seem to be able to circumvent this requirement. If you buy a sawgrass system then you will have no problem other than stumping up the high purchase price. Sawgrass will offer you excellent after sales servuice during the warranty period (12 months) after which they will charge a lot of money for parts, components etc.
If you use the bulk system then obtain a good profile from a reputable supplier for proper colour matching. Generic profiles just don't work and all your hard work will come to nothing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts