T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm going got offer my uneducated opinion here, but I also think that traditional screen printing will be on it's way out for the most part. Heat transfers have been improved greatly in the last 10 years and will continue to improve, putting some hurt on the screen printers, unless they adapt and offer plastisol transfer printing also, but heat transfers may also be out some day. It will not be soon, but as Direct to Garment printing improves in both quality and price, even "die hard" screen print companies, and the heat transfer companies will change over to DTG for at least some of their product. If DTG printers get affordable enough, there will be over saturation of the market. None of this will happen overnight though, and maybe I'm completely wrong. LOL

An example would be hand painted signs and billboards for instance. Both are practically extinct. Both have been replaced by cut vinyl, and even that is currently being challenged by wide format printing directly to vinyl.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Muncheys said:
Does cafe press use the Fast t-jet direct to printing machine or some other brand? My friend bought a shirt from a cafe press shop and the printing was perfect. I am getting a DTP machine as soon as I find out the exact one cafe press uses so I can get the same quality. I tried cafe presses 800# but the hold times are long. If anyone here know's the exact model I would appreciate it.

Thank you
I wouldn't necessarily get the one Cafepress uses. There are currently about seven brands of DTG printers, plus these things are not at all inexpensive. That kind of money requires some homework to see which printer would be best for you. I would go to a trade show to see all the different manufactures. I'm planning on attending one in IL coming in August.

Also, I'd like to add that so far, all the DTG printers still require you to set the print with a heat press. These are things that I have read, but still have no personal experience with, so it's all just food for thought.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm pretty sure that will be next, and it's probably already being worked on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.