T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
As in the title the C88+ died. So got the C120.
For now have to use the epson carts till I decide If I want a cis or refills. Can't help and feel like the inkjetcarts.us had something to do with the death of it. I really like to stick to laser but.
So for the C120 and setting changes over the 88 ?
Do the inks still need the -15 -15 +20 for cyan yellow etc ?

Thanks
Mark

· Registered
1,499 Posts
...I have used the c120 since FEB 08 w/ the inkjetcarts ink&carts.
.......it has been wonderful!

One of my black print heads finally went out a few days ago, so i called epson and they sent me a new printer for free!
:)

· Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Hi Mrs. B!! :) Was that a refurb you had that had the printhead go bad?

Mark... I just set up my C120 and wondered the same thing with the Durabrite carts. I have printed a few things, and don't notice the yellow pervading thru everything like it does with the C88+. So far, I've left the settings alone.

If that changes, I'll pop in here again and let you know.

If you go ahead with normal settings and it works out, will you let me know? Thanks. :)

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Hi Mrs. B!! :) Was that a refurb you had that had the printhead go bad?
No.....I purchased a "new" c120 off of ebay in feb 08....about 35.00 plus 10.00 shipping(I think that was the price??LOL).....anyway....It printed fine but the "feed-rollers" pinched the paper too hard and left indention "lines" down the paper!!! So that's when I first called EPSON!!!:mad:
They sent me a new printer.....and paid for me to ship the "bad" one back to them!:)
Then everything was fine!.....until a few days ago.......But.....they came through for me again!
EXCEPT....they sent me a "workforce 30" printer.......the c120's new "replacement"!!

I have not tried this one yet because Ross does not have the damper carts for it......but he should soon... come the end of next month.

The c120 that I am running now is the "refurb" that I purchased during that 36.00 sale some months ago..........remember???

It works great so far....and I hope it keeps it up,,,,,because no replacements for "refurbs":(

Mark... I just set up my C120 and wondered the same thing with the Durabrite carts. I have printed a few things, and don't notice the yellow pervading thru everything like it does with the C88+. So far, I've left the settings alone.

If that changes, I'll pop in here again and let you know.

If you go ahead with normal settings and it works out, will you let me know? Thanks. :)
....for the c120 I have always used normal settings using the refill carts and inkjetcarts ink.

The durabrite ink in the c120 was not good for me .... Remember those colorshifting issues...? yuck. lol

· Premium Member
7,895 Posts
No, I didn't remember that, but thank you for reminding me. I already know I do not like the way that the C120 prints photographs. We had to question if it was Durabrite ink, and it is. The cx9400 uses Durabrite, too, and it prints beautiful pictures. Same paper, can figure out why the c120 looks so *odd*.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I didn't remember that, but thank you for reminding me. I already know I do not like the way that the C120 prints photographs. We had to question if it was Durabrite ink, and it is. The cx9400 uses Durabrite, too, and it prints beautiful pictures. Same paper, can figure out why the c120 looks so *odd*.
Kelly
what was wrong with the photos ? I printed two out on the matte paper that came with the printer as a sample and thought they came out great.

I also printed out a photo of my g/f granddaughter and pressed it to a cotton shirt and it turned out pretty darn good. The colors look right.
Used default settings except I turned off high speed in the printer properties.

Thanks
Mark

· Registered
1,499 Posts
....yes....I too turn off the "high speed" printing.....everything looks strange and I get minimal banding if I leave it on.
I also turn off "edge smoothing".

My c120 prints beautifully .....especially compared to my c88+!

.....kelly, are you using DB oem inks on your c120?.....or the refil carts?

· Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Well, when I print photos, and I mean a personal photo onto photo paper, nothing to do with transfers, the finish looks weird.

When I print with my c88+ or my cx9400, they look like they were "sent out" for processing. But on the c120, the blacks look weird and the finish is so odd. It looks so bland and almost 2 "flat" if that makes sense. I can see a different "finish" where there is black. It has a different sheen then the areas that are colors. I just don't like it. It looks like how picture used to look when friends printed them for me 6 yrs ago on home printers. They nearly look like they are printed on plain paper rather than gloss photo paper.

My first instinct is to think I'd have to really mess with the settings alot more, experiment with different papers, and my mind is zero'ing in on that second "black" ink cart as the main reason for the difference.

My C88+ and cx9400 both printed beautiful, rich, gloss pics, and they both only have 4 carts total, one black. Whereas the c120 has 5 carts, two black carts. What is the second black cart supposed to do? Has anyone picked that up off Epson already?

I can research myself, if no one knows off the top of their head. I spend half my time on that site reading about the inks, printers, etc. I just had to set up my c120 in a rush as I ran out of ink in the c88+ (and had some pesky banding from letting it sit)... so opening a c120 was way easier to deal with! Being cheaper than a set of ink to boot! LOL.

Anyway, not happy with the regular photos. Transfers will happen this week.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I have read the 2 blacks are for speeding up document printing (at least that is what I took in from reading on it). I did not get the impression it had much to do with photo printing speed or better quality of the photos.
The reviews I read said it had great photo printing abilities.
I have only done one transfer, and printed 2 pics of our softball tourney team 8x10. I thought all turned out just fine.
I am going to print a b&w photo tonite. I started to last nite but I was fiddling in photoshop and told ps to take over color management and for some reason it kicked out the first piece of paper, which was the matte paper and printed on plain paper. It still looked pretty good tho. The pic is of us kids from 1967 that was scanned intot the computer awhile ago, uploaded to my online gallery and then copied back so its probably not in the best shape.
The only settings I used so far was none really.
I turned off high speed as Epson said it could degrade the quality of the images. And I think smooth edges was on. I did not move any color settings either.

Good luck
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.