T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Just wondering - when I change from Durabrite OEM carts in my c88+ and C120, if I stay with Durabrite compatible or pigment ink, like the ones from inkjetcarts.us, do I need to flush my printer of Durabrite first, or can I just install the carts? Thanks so much!! :)

These are the carts:
Find Ink Jet Carts:Epson:C Models:C120

PS: If you use these re-fill carts, will you please tell me which system is best on that page? The spongeless kit or the other one? Thanks a million again. :)

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Kelly,

There is very little amount of ink that is left between the input port and the nozzle. When you do the pre charge and purge will be enough to get rid of what little amount of OEM ink left in the nozzle. If in doubt you can buy cleaning solution from inkjetcarts.us. I keep a set of cartridges filled with cleaning solution. I use them in place of the regular cartridges when I am not printing for a long time. Just to keep the heads from drying up and clogging.

There are 4 purge files, one for each color of CMYK and one 4 color purge file that comes in the inkjetcarts.us CD. Purge each head with each color file. That should be enough to clean the heads.

I suggest you download "Autoprint" program from inksupply.com. The program runs a scheduled purge to help keep the heads fresh and prevent from clogging. The printer has to be ON all the time for the program to work. Use the 4 color purge file to conserve ink.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Kelly,

There is very little amount of ink that is left between the input port and the nozzle. When you do the pre charge and purge will be enough to get rid of what little amount of OEM ink left in the nozzle. If in doubt you can buy cleaning solution from inkjetcarts.us. I keep a set of cartridges filled with cleaning solution. I use them in place of the regular cartridges when I am not printing for a long time. Just to keep the heads from drying up and clogging.
This is for refill cartridges and not for CIS, right?

Would you mind explaining what a purge is for us newbies?

What would your definition of a "long time" be in between printings? (1-12 hours, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month?)

There are 4 purge files, one for each color of CMYK and one 4 color purge file that comes in the inkjetcarts.us CD. Purge each head with each color file. That should be enough to clean the heads.
When you say four purge files, do you mean files on your computer that is being run for the individual inks?

I suggest you download "Autoprint" program from inksupply.com. The program runs a scheduled purge to help keep the heads fresh and prevent from clogging. The printer has to be ON all the time for the program to work. Use the 4 color purge file to conserve ink.
I would also assume the computer has to continually be ON to run the program too when its time, correct?

You mentioned four individual color files, and 1 for all four. How does the 4 color purge file conserve ink?

Thanks for the information, this is great! :D

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Luis, you Rock!! Thank you for the great post. :)

Kelly,

There is very little amount of ink that is left between the input port and the nozzle. When you do the pre charge and purge will be enough to get rid of what little amount of OEM ink left in the nozzle.
This sounds good. I think I'd be comfortable with this. If I am okay with the above, then I don't need to worry about the rest, right?

Lnfortun said:
If in doubt you can buy cleaning solution from inkjetcarts.us. I keep a set of cartridges filled with cleaning solution. I use them in place of the regular cartridges when I am not printing for a long time. Just to keep the heads from drying up and clogging.
Now I am thinking I should buy these for when the printer may sit for a while. ??

Lnfortun said:
Is this to clean the old ink out to set the printer up with the cleaning carts for when it's going to be idol for a while?

Lnfortun said:
For when the regular carts are installed, and not the cleaning fluid carts, right?

If I am printing pretty regularly, do I need to worry about this?

Thanks so much, Luis. I really appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
This is for refill cartridges and not for CIS, right?
Yes it is for refillable cartridge. Hence the title of this thread. The technique also applies to CIS.

Would you mind explaining what a purge is for us newbies?
Purge is another term for cleaning or flushing.

What would your definition of a "long time" be in between printings? (1-12 hours, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month?)
Several days to a week or more. I have learned my lesson from letting two cartridges run dry and left town for a week and the heads clogged up. Thank goodness for the cleaning solution from Ross and I was able to save the printer. As a matter of fact the printer has the cleaning solution filled cartridges right now since I am doing mostly laser transfers. I just pop out the cartdiges when I need to print, install the normal cartdiges, print a couple of pages of 4 color purge files. If the prints looked good then the printer is good to go.

When you say four purge files, do you mean files on your computer that is being run for the individual inks?
All the files must be in the computer. Single color files are meant for pre charging the heads. It can also be used to clear stubborn clogged individual head instead of using the head cleaning function that cleans all the heads whether the rest of the heads need cleaning or not. It cost a lot of ink using the head cleaning function. According to Ross a purge file uses 1/30 of ink to print less than doing head cleaning.

I would also assume the computer has to continually be ON to run the program too when its time, correct?
Of course. The printer is not smart to run on its own with the program without the computer telling it. I keep my computer and printers running 24/7.

You mentioned four individual color files, and 1 for all four. How does the 4 color purge file conserve ink?

Thanks for the information, this is great! :D
The individual color purge files has a full sheet image and the four color files has four narrow strips of cmyk. It will cost less to print compared to a full page of individual color. I even made the size of the cmyk strips smaller to save more ink.

The key is keeping the ink flow through the heads on schedule to keep them from drying and clogging when the printer is not being used.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ok I think I understand now. One think I'm still a little foggy on. Do you ever print the cartridges with the cleaning solution? For instance, do you print with the cleaning solution to clean them out, then print the purge files with the new cartridges installed?

I'm 95% with you on what you're doing now. Great explanations, thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It cost a lot of ink using the head cleaning function. According to Ross a purge file uses 1/30 of ink to print less than doing head cleaning. ...... It will cost less to print compared to a full page of individual color. I even made the size of the cmyk strips smaller to save more ink.
Thank you, Luis. This is good to know. I nearly have a heart attack when I am trying to get rid of banding or other issues and see how much ink gets eaten up. Banding happens when I let the printer sit, so these tips will help keep away alot of headaches for me. Thanks alot! :)

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Luis, you Rock!! Thank you for the great post. :)

This sounds good. I think I'd be comfortable with this. If I am okay with the above, then I don't need to worry about the rest, right?
Right.
Now I am thinking I should buy these for when the printer may sit for a while. ??
I suggest you use the cleaning solution. It is cheaper than using ink and keeps the heads clean when the printer is on standby for a long period. Or you can leave the regular ink cartridge in, use the autoprint program, set the schedule when to purge and that will also keep the heads from clogging. But it will cost more ink.

Ross has a good price for Ultima Heat transfer kit that comes with 3 sets of refillable cartridges, 8 oz. each of cmyk ink, 8 oz. cleaning solution and a full set of syringes. I use one set of cartidges dedicated for cleaning soltuions.

Is this to clean the old ink out to set the printer up with the cleaning carts for when it's going to be idol for a while?
Yes.

For when the regular carts are installed, and not the cleaning fluid carts, right?

Thanks so much, Luis. I really appreciate it. :)
You can use autoprint either way. With cleaning solution or with regular cartridges while the printer is on standby for long period. Just got to remember ink is precious. It will not clean the heads. Just keeps the heads fresher.

If I am printing pretty regularly, do I need to worry about this?
Maybe! I heard members say the heads will clog even when it is used regularly. It is always a good practice to keep the heads squeeky clean once in a while. Well squeeky clean maybe an over statement (but you get the idea right?:D).

If you do not have clogging up to now because of printing regularly then you do not have to worry about it.

BTW the price of C120 has dropped to $31.20 and 1400 to $149.00

If you have 2 or 3 of C120 you do not need to worry about the heads:D. Keep 1 or 2 in the box as backup(s).

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Ok I think I understand now. One think I'm still a little foggy on. Do you ever print the cartridges with the cleaning solution? For instance, do you print with the cleaning solution to clean them out, then print the purge files with the new cartridges installed?

I'm 95% with you on what you're doing now. Great explanations, thank you so much!
I use purge file for both cleaning solution and and regular ink. That is how you can tell that heads are clean or not. I use it when the printer is on stand by or cleaning clogged heads or pre charging the heads after the heads has been through head cleaning process with cleaning solution. Pre charging the heads has to go through printing the purge files to get rid of the cleaning solution and make sure the print looks OK. So the answer is yes, yes and yes:D.

BTW the cleaning solution is clear. It has to be diluted with few drops of ink so that faint trace(s) of the printed color(s) are visible on the paper.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Thank you, Luis. This is good to know. I nearly have a heart attack when I am trying to get rid of banding or other issues and see how much ink gets eaten up. Banding happens when I let the printer sit, so these tips will help keep away alot of headaches for me. Thanks alot! :)
Just keep in mind when you are about to use the head cleaning function of the printer: a) Print a purge file for the particular head in question. b) Use head cleaning solution if purge file alone don't work.
c) Ross said "Printing purge file cost 1/30 of ink less than what is used by the printer's head cleaning function".
d) Toss the printer and get another for $31.20:D:D) for a limited time though.

Please don't have a heart attack on me. Who else would laugh at my jokes. I would be sad:(.

·
Registered
584 Posts
haha I think it's funny, and pretty darn cool that the cost of the printer is way less than the cost of the inks. Friday if the deal is still going on, I'm buying two. But now I want the 1400 too!

Thanks for all the help Luis. One more quick thing, how many times do you need to purge the files? Just one one-through, or is it more based on if you see reminants of ink on the paper? What have your experiences been?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
haha I think it's funny, and pretty darn cool that the cost of the printer is way less than the cost of the inks. Friday if the deal is still going on, I'm buying two. But now I want the 1400 too!

Thanks for all the help Luis. One more quick thing, how many times do you need to purge the files? Just one one-through, or is it more based on if you see reminants of ink on the paper? What have your experiences been?
Just make sure you mention my name so I can get my comission for posting the sale. :D:DJust joking. Epson would not be able to pay what I charge. The company will giving the printer away after I collect my comission.

Sorry Kelly about the self promotion. It's a joke:D:D.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Luis, you are always cracking me up. I'm sure you could get me to chuckle in the middle of that heart attack!! haha... have a good one, and I really love this thread. Thanks for the great tips. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts