T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is for people that like to buy used.

1.When you get the press check the cord before you plug it in.

2. check the fuse and make sure it is the right one.

3.plug it in trun it up to 100F then 100F each time after that watch for smoke when it is up to full heat then set temp back down to 200F.

4. clean the lower and upper on the heat press yes clean the bottem pad. Look at pics that I have on here and you will see why. One was top the other was pad.

5.Then when you know that there is no more cleaning then set your temp for pressing and have fun with it. I am showing some pics of the press that I just got for $60 with shipping. From Ebay this was buy it now from there. if there is any thing you would like to know just ask.... (YES I DO BUY NAME BRAND WHEN BUYING USED THANKS)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
wow 60$ is cheap :) What kind of press is that? does it work good?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I bought a cap press off EBay for a real bargain price, as the listing said the temperature control was broken. Sending a message to the seller, I ascertained that someone had just broken off the control knob. This was easily resolved with a £1 ($2) component.

Contrary to what some people might suggest, heat presses are in fact very simple machines, nothing more than a glorified hotplate. That is me speaking as a fully qualified electro mechanical engineer.

David has supplied some very useful suggestions for people that buy secondhand. A little smoke when firing up a press that has stood for a while, is quite normal and nothing to be alarmed about.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is Geo Knight 12X14 and I tell you that I have had Hix and Sunie they where nice but this is lot better it opens so far that there is no way to get burned. It is heaver then them and I have set the temp it heats up in 5 mins. And stays there and the pressure is set to the lowest that it will go and still press vinyl,rhinestones and JPSS with no problems this is A tank LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is Geo Knight 12X14 and I tell you that I have had Hix and Sunie they where nice but this is lot better it opens so far that there is no way to get burned. It is heaver then them and I have set the temp it heats up in 5 mins. And stays there and the pressure is set to the lowest that it will go and still press vinyl,rhinestones and JPSS with no problems this is A tank LOL
Wow that was a steal!!! :eek: I guess the seller was REALLY motivated or didn't know what they had.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to buy for $120.00 when I ask if he could press A transfer and email me. Will when he get back to me I won the press but he said that there was black stuff on the shirt. When he pressed it so he told me I could have it for what he got it for $60.00 and free shipping he wanted good feed back and did not care about the money I would have still give him the $120.00 but deal is deal!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
You stll need to be careful on Ebay. You can get a bad deal if you don't watch. I had a friend buy a press that was listed as working and as is. When it arrived it worked but the burning wire smell gave the clue that there was a big issue. The good deal turned into a lot of extra time and money, but still cheaper than a new press. .... JB

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have gotten alot of things on Ebay and had good luck. But you do need to be carefull read and check out there feed back. One trick I found when looking for items is to miss spell the item you are looking for. You sometimes fine things that no one else is bidding on and you get a deal! I got a mug press for 99.00 and a epson 4000 almost new for 325.00.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the used press that I look at I find out if I can get parts for them. I only bid on them if I can and the most I will pay is $130.00. So if I do need to fix and I have I still come out head and if you get name brands and talk to there repairman. They will tell you every thing they can to get it back up and running and help you fix them.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
With all presses, it is essential to make sure you don't leave them unattended. This is especially so of a new purchase, whether it comes used from EBay, or brand new from a recognised manufacturer.

Both digital and non digital controllers can malfunction and send the temperature soaring. Loose electrical wiring can become overloaded and in extreme circumstances the protective insulation can ignite.

If you ever find yourself with this situation, do not switch off at the machine, as the casing may be live, but unplug the device from its source.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
With all presses, it is essential to make sure you don't leave them unattended. This is especially so of a new purchase, whether it comes used from EBay, or brand new from a recognised manufacturer.

Both digital and non digital controllers can malfunction and send the temperature soaring. Loose electrical wiring can become overloaded and in extreme circumstances the protective insulation can ignite.

If you ever find yourself with this situation, do not switch off at the machine, as the casing may be live, but unplug the device from its source.
Great advise Will. I knew this, but this can help others for sure. ..... JB

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And make sure they take "PAYPAL" you can all ways get your money back when putting clam in. When looking on Ebay get the person who is selling to tell you there is nothing wrong with it and safe it. Then when you get the press and it don't work make the clam "PayPal" don't like people who scam I have all so got the person to pay for shipping it back using PayPal!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok this is for people that like to buy used.

3.plug it in trun it up to 100F then 100F each time after that watch for smoke when it is up to full heat then set temp back down to 200F.

4. clean the lower and upper on the heat press yes clean the bottem pad. Look at pics that I have on here and you will see why. One was top the other was pad.

5.Then when you know that there is no more cleaning then set your temp for pressing and have fun with it. I am showing some pics of the press that I just got for $60 with shipping. From Ebay this was buy it now from there. if there is any thing you would like to know just ask.... (YES I DO BUY NAME BRAND WHEN BUYING USED THANKS)
Hi trying to understand some of your post but not seeing your pics well. firstly you mention to crank temp from 100F to 100F???? Is it set it to 100F then 1000F???? think there was a typo
Re: cleaning the top then also the bottom pad : some madnesson my computer so pics did not explain...could not really see them....what diff did it make if you wouldn't mind explaining!! sorry
Finally on buying namd brands: Is there brands you could recommend to newbies like myself.
thanks for your input here....it all helps. thanks
kate

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you have it shipped far?...wondering if this is risky at all if I was to have shipped from Overseas?? oh also can someone please tell this newbie what LOL means:confused:???!! there is alot of 'jargon' to just try to navigate thru and interpret till it all makes sense. Just got toask really dumb wuestions sometimes but feel like y ou will not mock but appreciate my 'newness' to it all!!!
thanks heaps kate :D

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Did you have it shipped far?...wondering if this is risky at all if I was to have shipped from Overseas?? oh also can someone please tell this newbie what LOL means:confused:???!! there is alot of 'jargon' to just try to navigate thru and interpret till it all makes sense. Just got toask really dumb wuestions sometimes but feel like y ou will not mock but appreciate my 'newness' to it all!!!
thanks heaps kate :D
LOL Means laugh out loud :) Its showing a personality trait that you sometimes cant see from someone typing so they will put LOL to show you they are making light of something, or that they might find humor in it :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Kate. David means take the temperature up to 100F initially, allow the temp to settle, then keep taking the temperature in increments of 100F. This is safer than just taking an unknown press (new or used) up to full temperature straight away and finding you have major problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All the used press that I look at I find out if I can get parts for them. I only bid on them if I can and the most I will pay is $130.00. So if I do need to fix and I have I still come out head and if you get name brands and talk to there repairman. They will tell you every thing they can to get it back up and running and help you fix them.
Thanks for that....do you uses a repairman from that company generally? or is there a particular typr of tradesman that one uses for repairs adn maintenance of heat presses?
cheers kate:p

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Kate. I am a fully qualified engineer so fix them myself.

I doubt very much that the companies that make heat presses have repairmen, other than for the very large presses that can't be shipped back for repair.

Apart from keeping the top and bottom platens clean, there is virtually no maintenance required on a heat press.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am not engineer but any one can fix heat press! I have done 20 press now and have sold them all. If you call the place that supplys them they have parts and will give any information you need to fix the heat press."But you need to check and make sure they have parts"!!!

All of the used heat press I get are from the county that I live in USA. And I do buy some from Auctions but lot are from people that Email me and let me now that they have used ones for sale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts