T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm a store owner can i buy from a person who makes shirts but is not a business legally. They don't have their legal work filed at all. Is it legal for me to buy and sell their shirts in Florida?

Also, if a person was part of that "business" who was supplying their shirts and they quit and didn't want the shirts they designed being sold can the supplier still sell them?

· Registered
5 Posts
Hmm

Not in the USA so wouldn`t be too sure about the rules there... but just throwing this idea out as it seems to be an analogy of sorts...

If a vintage or pre-loved clothing store gets most of their stock from say garage sales and church flea markets... is that illegal? There's a lot of overstock new old stock seen at some of these places.

But again, not sure what the law says. Probably something obscure :D:D

MJT

· Registered
5 Posts
oh Whoops - just reread the original post, and saw you used the word "make". Haha so not analogous at all :)

Re. your second question - depends on what kind of contract he had with the business. Did the designer agree to a Works-made-for-hire clause?

If so, then it doesn`t matter if he wants them sold or not, the supplier (his previous employer) has the right to do so.

Ah, here's something that may explain it further: 17 U.S. Code § 201 - Ownership of copyright | LII / Legal Information Institute

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.