T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're considering buying a 4-color 1-station screen printing setup:

Semi-Pro Complete Screen Printing Setup

So, I've got two questions before we take the plundge..

1) Do we need to buy a special printer for film positives? We've to an HP laser printer, would that suffice?

2) It comes with a flash dryer, but since I've never screen printed before, is there anything else we need to buy to cure the shirts once they're done being printed?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your laser printer will work just fine. just buy transparencies for laser printers.

And you can do full cures on a flash cure. I do it every day, as do a large amount of people here. You won't be printing as fast as you would be with a conveyor dryer, but you can still put out like a shirt a minute with a flash cure. Not bad numbers at all.

·
Registered
214 Posts
One thing I noticed on that kit, though. They give you 110 mesh screens. Those are OK. But you'll get better prints using like a 156 mesh. The upgrade couldn't be more that 20$ for the 4 of them.

I love ryonet, but I don't understand why they give everyone 110s

·
Registered
214 Posts
another thing i just noticed, would we need to add an exposure unit to this package?..

I think that the included "screen exposure stand", is a pvc pipe stand that holds a 500 watt halogen light (which should be included) which will work fine. I just used the light from it and built a stand for it so the light shines from underneath. Not sure if it was advantageous, but it sure looks cooler.

Call them and ask, but I think all their kits come standard with the halogen light.

EDIT: I should have just scrolled down the page. yeah, the halogen light is included. You can burn screens from that no problem. It's not the best on the market, but it should work for 90% of jobs.

I'd still call and ask if you can get laser printer transparencies instead of the inkjet. If not, just stop in at staples.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that the included "screen exposure stand", is a pvc pipe stand that holds a 500 watt halogen light (which should be included) which will work fine. I just used the light from it and built a stand for it so the light shines from underneath. Not sure if it was advantageous, but it sure looks cooler.

Call them and ask, but I think all their kits come standard with the halogen light.
Cool. hopefully this will be worth our time and money :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just recently started with this kit. Great kit for small runs but I can already see the advantages of washout sinks, better exposure units, rotary platens, and conveyor dryers for doing large numbers of prints. But, since I usually don't print more than a few dozen at the most at a time it works great.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been eyeing this kit for awhile, but the price still irks me. Is this kit still a good idea even if you've never screenprinted before? And does anyone know where I can get a cheaper one, if theres any? thank you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been eyeing this kit for awhile, but the price still irks me. Is this kit still a good idea even if you've never screenprinted before? And does anyone know where I can get a cheaper one, if theres any? thank you.
Why does the price bother you? I've never screen printed before, and was thinking of buying this setup to get started. I actually thought $1,000 was a damn good price. But, like I said, I've never actually screen printed before.. So, I don't have anything to compare it to.

But, it's definitely cheaper than buying embroidery machines... :D

·
Banned
97 Posts
just upgrade to the exposure unit....it will give you crisper burn outs.. my buddy had the lamp then upgraded and the difference was amazing. so his shirts came out even better in the end.. and his exposure unit had a timer where once u knew the time it took to get it done good...u will know the exposure time on others ...u wont have to worry like on the lamp.

·
Registered
214 Posts
just upgrade to the exposure unit....it will give you crisper burn outs.. my buddy had the lamp then upgraded and the difference was amazing. so his shirts came out even better in the end.. and his exposure unit had a timer where once u knew the time it took to get it done good...u will know the exposure time on others ...u wont have to worry like on the lamp.

All of their exposure units use multiple lights though, so you'll get more undercutting. If you're going to pay extra for an exposure unit, you should spring for one with a single point light source.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts