T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm ready to buy my heat press and I have it narrowed down to 3 presses. I've found 3 different guys locally who have one for sale and I can't decide which one to go with...

15x15 Mighty Press- $300 (fairly new in good working order)

15x15 Hix HT-400- $250 (about ten years old, but works well, pictured below)

or...

15x15 Hix Presto (almost new)- $175

After doing quite a bit of research I'm leaning toward the Mighty Press. I think that's a reasonable price. But then again, the Presto for $175 seems like a steal! Help me out...please!! Hard decision here. Any input from you guys would be great.

Thanks in advance! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would buy the Hix, They are tanks. I have issues with the stahls equipment and have found the Hix to be a work horse . I say buy the Hix and only buy once. .... JB

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'd buy the newest or least used one. Both brands are good. You'll find Mighty Press to have a few more features - over center pressure, upper floating platen, teflon coated platen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so I guess the Presto is out. The price sounded good but from what I've read it's more of a starter press and I don't want to have to upgrade in a few months if I can just get the upgrade now. Plus I guess there's issues with the non-teflon plates getting messy or whatever. I'm still kinda leaning toward the mighty press though just because the guys lives about an hour closer than the guy with the Hix. So the fifty dollars I'd save would just go in my gas tank anyways... Hmmm....still tough decision. Think I'll sleep on it and see if I get any more input from you guys. :confused:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hix all the way.

I've tried the mighty press and although it was nice the hix just "felt" better.

I've owned my HIX 400 for over a year and bought it used, I know in my heart it will last me for many years.
Not sure how old it is but it has the red rocker switched instead of the metal toggle switches.

Bill

·
Registered
584 Posts
I didn't realize when everyone talked about the Hix and the Might Press, they were in the price range. Not sure if this should go in the SunIE thread, but could we add SunIE into the mix for this thread since that it's in the same price range? and a number of people have positive comments about them

edit: Just realized you were talking about used equipment, sorry. but have you considered the SunIE? If you have and don't want it, why? (since it's a new machine for the same price)

·
Registered
584 Posts
There's a Hix 600 for sale down the road for $400. I was thinking a SunIE because of my cash problems, and the Hix 600 looks pretty used. Not sure what I should do . .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't realize when everyone talked about the Hix and the Might Press, they were in the price range. Not sure if this should go in the SunIE thread, but could we add SunIE into the mix for this thread since that it's in the same price range? and a number of people have positive comments about them

edit: Just realized you were talking about used equipment, sorry. but have you considered the SunIE? If you have and don't want it, why? (since it's a new machine for the same price)

I haven't actually looked at the Sunie press much. I did read some good things about it though, but that wasn't until after I pretty much already decided I wanted a Hix or Mighty Press. Plus, I'm pretty much going off what the members of these forums say...although I've read a few good things about the Sunie, most things I've read stay stick to the major name brands. I'm supposed to meet this guy today to pick up the mighty press. He sent me a few pics and it looks to be in good shape cosmetically, so hopefully I'm making the right choice..

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem is the Hix is in San Diego (I'm in Los Angeles) and I wouldn't be able to drive out there until a week from today and I'm getting impatient!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thats a good enough reason that I can relate too. The Mighty has plenty of people better than me that love it. I think its a good choice from what I've read here. Lou has one that he loves and that is a good enough recommendation for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thanks guys for all your input. It's settled...I'm leaving now to meet this guy in Hollywood to pick up the Mighty Press! I'm pretty excited. Laaaater!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm always leary about buying used machines though, never show how old they are or if they are going to quit on me anytime soon. At least with the SunIE I'd have a three year warranty and could probaly make some money to save up for a better press. But I'm new at this, anyone else?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts