T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a newbie and still haven't bought my equipment yet. There is a 34" us cutter vinyl cutter on ebay? Anyone have any opinions. I need to cut vinyls and also to cut around my heat transfers for dark shirts. Do I need to buy software for the cutter as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
run...run far away from most any eBay cutter...note I say most... those are the ones from China, without any enforceable warranty, little or no support, parts availability is slim or none. A lot will not support Win 7 and some will not have a USB direct connection..There are a couple reputable companies selling on eBay but they are far and few between. I think that US Cutter has a presence there as does a guy selling the GCC EX24. Another thing...do you want/need optic eye...what motor...servo or stepper...Stepper is not as robust/strong as servo motor and will not last as long...plus some of the cheaper cutters do not track well.....so buy at your own risk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi I am a newbie and still haven't bought my equipment yet. There is a 34" us cutter vinyl cutter on ebay? Anyone have any opinions. I need to cut vinyls and also to cut around my heat transfers for dark shirts. Do I need to buy software for the cutter as well.

Thanks.
I agree! I have a a U.S. Cutter Refine that I bought when I was first starting out, I had nothing but problems with it, the software that comes with it is terrible too. The model I bought came with software from an Aussie company that no longer exists and no support with it. I bought a Vinyl Express Qe 60+ that is made by Graphtec and comes with a private label version of Flexi 8. I did not buy the ARMS unit when I ordered it, I wish I did now...lol.

To give you an idea of the quality of the u.s. cutter models, they use cut vinyl for the actual labels, that come from the machine, very low rent operation, and the whole case is made of platic and the plug area on mine broke with in 3 months of purchase and it has never been fix due to not getting service for the unit from the seller.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Go for a Roland GX-24. A bit smaller, but worth every penny. I don't own one yet, but plan too. I've watched tons of videos and read hundreds of posts and articles and found the GX-24 as a very popular, robust cutter with adjustability and production in mind. Plus Roland customer support is excellent.

Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah it is expensive.
I started with, and still use, a Roland Stika SV-12. Looking back, while I love my Stika, I would have plunked down the extra cash for the GX-24. That being said, I am glad I started out on a less expensive machine to get the hang of things.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It can cut the heat transfers just fine (but not flocking or other thicker materials), but contour cutting is completely manual. You have to print the registration marks when you print your t shirt design and then manually line the cutter head over them. Not something I'd enjoy doing during production runs. The GX-24 has an optical eye that scans the registration marks and does the lining up for you. I know you said it's out of your budget, but I'd really take a long hard think about saving a bit more and jumping in with both feet with the GX-24.

The Stika series is best for simple vinyl decal/sign making and simple t-shirt making. They're still great though and I love mine.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Thanks.

I have the USCutter 36" LaserPoint.... It is by fare the worse excuss for a plotter I have ever had.... Most cutters in the last 10 year work from a printer port.... these cutters or OLD school and are slow, loud, NO down force and I tell everyone to buy something else.

Now, that being said, they are CHEAP and I think that is why people are drawn to them.

·
Registered
583 Posts

Thanks.
Check out the Graptec Craft Robo Pro CE5000-40. It's a professional series 15" cutter that is able to cut vinyl and rhinestone templates. It comes with its own software that has plug-ins for CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator and also has a servo motor. Preferred vendor, Specialty Graphics Supply, has a special running for forum members for $899 with a discount and all sort of accessories for it. Check the preferred vendors section on the forum, then special offers section.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have 2 Refines from US Cutter and while they are good machines for starting out they don't compare to my Graphtec or Roland (Roland is a printer/cutter), the US Cutter machines made me A LOT of money. But since then they have changed something within the cutter and A LOT of people are having problems with the newer machines. I recommend staying away from their refine series, which is the series you're looking at. I do still use 1 of mine for cutting nothing but magnetic material and it works great, but again that was an older model before they changed the way they are made.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll chime in here. I did not know a whole lot about this business and basically went in blind. (Still a newbie!) I sort of knew what I wanted but a lot of the language was greek to me. On a whim, I purchased what I thought was a great deal on a used 15X15 heat press by Sunie. I was so excited to get it. It worked great the first few times then the thermostat went. It cost me $48 bucks and I put in the new one one myself. In the long run, I still came out ahead as I paid way under what a new one would have cost. (Fingers crossed that it continues to perform)
As far as my vinyl cutter, I looked on e-bay (I know, bad idea) and on my local Craigs list. I also frequented this forum to inquire about certain brands etc... I ended up coming across a used Vinyl Express Q60 (with lots of software, clip art, extra blades *which I now realize are expensive!, and some vinyl that was about a year old in my area. Only problem was, it was set up for Mac and I'm a PC gal. I went with my gut, not knowing what I was doing, and bought it for less than $300! I had to invest in the software through SignWarehouse (the LXi) after I tried to use a cheap software from Canada that got me nowhere! I had to install the driver, banged my head against the wall A LOT to get the settings correct, change the blade, understand the language, basic operations, communications with my computer and getting it to recognize my CorelDraw, plus a whole lot more. UGH! A headache that I had for over a month! I am pleased to say, my VE Q60 is performing like a dream! I love it. I consider myself very lucky!
My advice, educate yourself BIG TIME! I am fortunate and am counting my blessings. I've had great customer service with Sunie as well as SignWarehouse. I could not have come this far without this forum. The people here are great. If you have a question, ask. Take the advice to heart. The people here know what they are talking about.
Do your research. Educate yourself. Ask question.

Best of luck to you,
Kimberly

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.