T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all so i am going deep as i realized if you dont have it you can make money lol people asking for more products as i sell tshirts to them. so i decided ti be a small all in one stop and shop place. i do sublimation tshirts banners etc. now i am buying a used versacamm from my local sign shop. he is switchjing to 54" and dont need the 30 inch one. i went and checked the sp300 looked great. he did a demo of the print and cut worked great , tshirt materials workled great , banner materials worked great. i am conviniced to buy but before i go back any suggestions and any recomendadtions of what to look for in the machine. anything i should check in debth before i buy. any help will greatly appriciated . ohh and the price of the machine is great so i dont wanna pass :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I say as long as you have already seen that it print and cut on the different materials that you will be using. It probably is a good machine. You may want to ask if he has had any problems with it and whether it has been serviced by a tech and if so for what? But if it is good price and runs well, go for it!!! We have the 540VP and we love ours. I don't think you will be disappointed if you get it.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Agreed, we have it's big brother the VP540, it's a real work horse and basically trouble free, do you know if there is any warranty left on the machine? also if they are using OEM inks? other than those questions if it's cheap enough I doubt you could go wrong, you'll just out grow it and want a 54" later....but that's another thread. :)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
basicaly the machine was bought by one of the local dealers in my town. they are the ones who sold it to him so i know the origin. they are the ones who maintanined it and they are the ones who are only giving him 3000$ for the machine for trade lol . he is not selling it for that price so im buying it for a little more than that but machine looked great. comes with rip software and stand and set of inks. its 4 or 5 years old machine. the guy told me i can get extended warranty. is that true? is there such a thing from roland for a used machine? i am very excited now i dont have to use my regular 24 inch printer and y graphtec cutter and my laminator now i can do all that in one machine lol. one more question im lost on this iusse. this guy said he uses regular avery vinyl on this machine is that possible? or i missunderstood him.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
basicaly the machine was bought by one of the local dealers in my town. they are the ones who sold it to him so i know the origin. they are the ones who maintanined it and they are the ones who are only giving him 3000$ for the machine for trade lol . he is not selling it for that price so im buying it for a little more than that but machine looked great. comes with rip software and stand and set of inks. its 4 or 5 years old machine. the guy told me i can get extended warranty. is that true?
Not sure on the extend warranty, but I do know that Roland is a great company to deal with as far as support goes, at that age I'd probably pass on a expensive warranty, it won't cover the print head(s) which would be the most common failure item.

is there suck a thing from roland for a used machine?
Not that I'm aware of, like I said we have had very few issues with ours and the couple times we did call Roland they were nice people to deal with.

i am very excited now i dont have to use my regular 24 inch printer and y graphtec cutter and my laminator now i can do all that in one machine lol. one more question im lost on this iusse. this guy said he uses regular avery vinyl on this machine is that possible? or i missunderstood him.
Ah...you will still need your laminator, most everything you print really needs to be laminated for it to last out in the weather, as to the avery vinyl, avery makes films/vinyl just like 3M, Oracal, and many others, he's just stating that is what he uses....I would guess.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess this is going to be a true aset in my place. possibilities are endless. so much you can do with this machine. if i can make some $$ i want to go with the bigger one as well . i wanna get into car wraps as i used to install paint protection filmd so im very familar with tha process. thank you guys for sharing some of your thoughts. i will be buying this machine hopefully monday . already left a deposit :)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Good Luck with your purchase I'm sure you'll be happy, on the car wrap topic, that's really the only issue with the printer which is the size of the vinyl you can run through it, 30" panels are a pain on like a full size van or trailer because of all the seams (lining up the design elements) but it can be done, the up side is that the 30" panels are much easier to apply than a 54". :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats why im hoping i make some money and upgrade to 54 so i can make the wraps :)

i just read that i cant print on magnetic sheets directly. that kind of sucks. now i have to print on vinyl and mount it i guess. v series prints on directly

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
i just read that i cant print on magnetic sheets directly. that kind of sucks. now i have to print on vinyl and mount it i guess. v series prints on directly
NOPE! we asked and the answer was NO, and after dealing with magnetic sheet even if we could we wouldn't chance a head strike on it.....besides it's easy stuff to work with and printed/laminated vinyl on it looks fantastic.

·
Registered
435 Posts
NOPE! we asked and the answer was NO, and after dealing with magnetic sheet even if we could we wouldn't chance a head strike on it.....besides it's easy stuff to work with and printed/laminated vinyl on it looks fantastic.
Your VP-540 actually can print directly on to magnets as long as they're less than 20 mil. The VP-540 has an adjustable print head. However, most customers don't choose to because it is a pain to load the magnetic material through the machine, you really have to babysit it.

The SP-300 cannot print magnetic because it doesn't have the adjustable print head.

Regarding the warranty discussed earlier, I don't believe you can extend it any longer but check with your local dealer.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thanks Adam, the NO reply we got was from the distributor we bought our VP from not from Roland, not in as a NO you can't but NO don't try it. LOL! as I said I would not risk it even though it is possible. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i called the guy and i am picking up the machine this monday. i am very excited. will be my starter print/cut machine. i am also thinking about skateboard printing. custom. i will be using car wrap material print custom designs and apply it to a deck. hopefully now i can sell deck as well. i use regular vinyl now but this will be even better. oh boyy this machine is giving me headaches already. thinking about the possibilities. i think i shoul dtake it easy and start from basics lol i also called my local dealer got a price for new one it goes for 11595$ im paying half of that for a clean machine so i think price is ok. what u guys think? 5400$ plust roll of material, stand, media holder and softwares. fair price?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Doesn't sound bad, like you said a new VP300 is $12ish by the time it's delivered and set up, if you have any savvy business sense you should be able to get it to pay for itself in 12 months or less....not too bad a ROI.:)

·
Registered
435 Posts
You'll definitely want to laminate if you're doing skateboard decks. Make sure you use a nice glossy laminate.

As long as you've seen it printing, cutting, etc, you'll be good to go. That's a pretty fair price. You could pay less but who knows what the condition would be!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this guy on ebay he is hamden,ct had it for 5000$ auction 8000$ buy it. says only personal use but not taking the chance o a machine didnt see yet. drive there is not bad from ny but still i have to pay before i go there. at least this guy im buying from here localy is offering me help afterwards and im also getting tshirts jobs from him as well so i cant complain at all. .. when it comes to laminating the prints for decks should i use hot or cold lamination? makes any differnce?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hot or cold lamination depends on the laminate. Almost all of them are cold lamination. Having said that, adding a little heat to a cold laminate does help the clarity.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
.. when it comes to laminating the prints for decks should i use hot or cold lamination? makes any differnce?
Cold.....we use a Diage roll cold laminator or a big squeegee, both work great depending on the size of your print. Lamination is the often over looked aspect of solvent based printing, while you can wrap a car with unlaminated vinyl the vinyl manufacturer won't warranty the vinyl, your ink will fade quickly when exposed to the sun day in and day out, and the printing on the vinyl will scratch by just washing the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have a cold laminator and i just picked up a gbc 4250 used but like brand new for 300$ with 2 brand new rolls. ive been doin cold lamination on most of my prints so far from hp 130nr so im very familar with cold i tried hot lamiation tonite and it worked great. i have a 24 inch dye ink based sticker paper i printed spideman lol and fed the printed image through laminator 1.5 mil than i cut around teh image with my graphtec ce-5000 i made my frist phathead :). came out oretty good. it was a great investment for 300$ wich it was bigger but i will definatlt test with the roland versacamm but i guess ill be using the cold one alot i have a feeling which it makes more sense like you guys said. thank you all for small tips and thoughts, im sure ill be asking more questions along the way. I love this forum. its great where honest people try to help eachother and better themselves. A+++ for all you guys :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok guys i just picked up my sp-300 guy didnt wanna wait untill monday so i had to get it today. it looks nice and clean ran a last test before picked it up all good. My only concern is the waste bottle machine is not plugged in and its still dripping to the bottle. i emptied the bottle and its still dripping in it. what can it be? is it the ink in the tubes? or there is a problem ? thanks guys

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Is it an SP300 or SP300V. I believe the SP300V works with Versaworks whereas the SP300 does not. What RIP software came with it?

As for the ink dripping, I'm not sure on that particular model, I run an SC-500 and I use Flexi Pro for my RIP.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts