T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of purchasing a DTG printer soon, and have been researching them by the comments posted on this forum. Each brand has it's pro's and con's. Maintenance is to me a big sticking point. For some of the high tech printers available, the daily maintenance seems to be "low tech" and time consuming for such hi-tech machines. Lint free swabs and cleaning fluid, removing screws for panel removal, moving a gear with a screw driver to access wipers and capping stations.
Is this to be expected with all the models out there on the market?

I currently do manual screenprinting with a Hix 4 station/6 color press. I also do some embroidery......just limited for now. I wanted an avenue to do some "one-ups", or short full color runs, without going through the screen process.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing a DTG printer soon, and have been researching them by the comments posted on this forum. Each brand has it's pro's and con's. Maintenance is to me a big sticking point. For some of the high tech printers available, the daily maintenance seems to be "low tech" and time consuming for such hi-tech machines. Lint free swabs and cleaning fluid, removing screws for panel removal, moving a gear with a screw driver to access wipers and capping stations.
Is this to be expected with all the models out there on the market?

I currently do manual screenprinting with a Hix 4 station/6 color press. I also do some embroidery......just limited for now. I wanted an avenue to do some "one-ups", or short full color runs, without going through the screen process.
Mind you....I just want some way to compare machines since I can't see them all in one place and operating. Also being in the carpet cleaning business, I was able to go to reginal trade shows and actually try out the equipment in real time situations. When you're paying $20-30,000+ for a piece of carpet cleaning equipment, you've got to have realiability with minimum maintenance. I have a Truck mounted piece of equipment that is a 2003 model, and is still running fine after 8 years. (5000 hrs) The same with a DTG printer.....I don't want to spend the day printing and have to spend an hour on cleaning and maintenance, and have to spend time on the phone trying to find a factory tech to get you out of trouble. The really high end DTG's are out of reach right now, and I haven't heard about their reliability. (Kornit, Aeoon). I guess with a purchase like a DTG, some owners get the elevator, some get the shaft.

· Registered
364 Posts
Hello Robert,

There are plenty of great machines out there in your price range 10k-30k. The maintenance procedure for many of the DTG printers are the same and do not take as long as you may suspect. This normally consists of keeping any parts that come in direct contact with your print head clean, for example: capping station cap and wiper blade.

On the occasion that trouble may arise the tech support will vary from company to company. That is something you may want to do some research on. I really would highly suggest getting to one of the shows before you make a purchase. Seeing the equipment in person will give you an idea of which machine will fit into your business model best.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Robert,

There are plenty of great machines out there in your price range 10k-30k. The maintenance procedure for many of the DTG printers are the same and do not take as long as you may suspect. This normally consists of keeping any parts that come in direct contact with your print head clean, for example: capping station cap and wiper blade.

On the occasion that trouble may arise the tech support will vary from company to company. That is something you may want to do some research on. I really would highly suggest getting to one of the shows before you make a purchase. Seeing the equipment in person will give you an idea of which machine will fit into your business model best.
Thanks, John.....I have been looking at the Neoflex. It looks impressive, and I like the options to switch print heads to solvent and/or edible ink.

Maybe AA should update it's maintenance video that demonstrates the daily and weekly maintenance procedures. They are a little bit of a turnoff.

I have talked with Joe at AA. I'll probably have to drive to Philly to check out the printers.

RW

· Registered
364 Posts
Thanks Robert for the tip. I believe it seems a little overwhelming because the video shows step by step and explains very thoroughly how to do so.

The process once done a few times is very standard and literally takes no longer than 2-3 minutes.

Again the maintenance videos are there as a reference for new users that may just be learning how to use the NeoFlex system and those who may just need a refresher.

· Registered
47 Posts
About six weeks back i got interesed in DTG. Got lots of info from this forum. And from links, got hold of one from China ! After checking them out thru friends and business associates bought from them. All the brand new machines here will cost 20k+. I got air freighted my purchase, door to door for 8k. Machine works great. Very simple to use and set was a breeze. Though chinese, heavy duty and well (sturdy) built. Components just about same with Epson 4889 head. One thing I liked, my price included 8+ litres of Dupont ink. Ink system is refillable cartridges, inexpensive way filling in cartridges. Maintenace is almost nothing. I have enough work to almost pay it off in 6 weeks!
You have to be careful when buying from overseas though. I read in the forum that somebody bought from china and worthless. I have great support on line from them. I hope not to have any tech support issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.