T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im about to start selling my tees online and im from california. does anyone know if i need a business license to sell from a website out of california....and does anyone know how to get the taxes squared away when it comes to online business? all i know about is the tax id number, i went and got one of those assuming it was the rght thing to do? anyone with any information would be very helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know about CA, but the WI rules are after you set up an account with the state for the resale certificate (sales tax) they will send you the quarterly form to fill out and remit the collected tax with. Or it may be electronic where you are at.

Anyway, if I sell instate I charge sales tax. If I sell out of state it is interstate commerce and no tax is collected. Here is a stick point though. If an out of state sale is delivered by your business, or an out of state sale is picked up at your in-state business, tax is to be charged. Same with counties if in-state. If delivered via common carrier to out of state, then no sales tax. Same with out of county. (if your state has county sales tax add ons) Don't worry too much about it. The state will make sure you cough up the tax collected. Oscar

·
Registered
950 Posts
To add to this, remember that you, and the rest of us are running a business, and that you can write off other expenses that are directly related to the sales of your t-shirts. Examples are domain name fees, web hosting fees, t-shirt blanks, ink, printers, inks, transfer papers and other supplies, screen printer fees, advertising, phones, home office expenses etc. Save all receipts that have to do with running your business. If you use a tax preparer for your taxes, that is a write off too. Do not try to write off things that are not related to your business, but DO write off everything that is.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
You need to get a California Reseller's permit to sell in california. That will track your sales tax for sales made within California.

You'll probably also need a business license.

You can find most of this information at the CA State Board of Equalization website and at your local chamber of commerce (or Small Business Association chapter)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts