T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
What do you all think of screen-printing that results in a layer of ink that kinda sits on top of the fabric? I have t-shirts where the ink is right in the fabric so you can still see the weave of the cloth, and then I have t-shirts where the ink sits on top of the fabric. In the second case, does that mean the printer is doing a bad job, or is that merely an issue of taste?
thanks
Christopher

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It's certainly not "doing a bad job"....just a different technique.

Personally, and I have yet to find an exception, I find bullet-proof ink foul and sweaty. Ick.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I agree with monkeylantern that it's definitely a matter of taste and technique rather than competency.

Personally I'm not a fan of bullet-proof printing either, although I do have a t-shirt that uses it to decent effect. I do think it's a valid technique to have in the repertoire, but I wouldn't use it for every shirt as some people like to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I appreciate the thoughts. I'm hunting around for a good screen-printer these days. I just tried one but they produced bullet-proof stuff and then claimed that it was excellent quality and quite normal. Perhaps it is, but the pancake-like aspect is somewhat off-putting. I need to find a different printer...
Chris

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
honeyflip said:
I just tried one but they produced bullet-proof stuff and then claimed that it was excellent quality and quite normal.
It is quite normal, and assuming they're printing it properly it is excellent quality. Some designs will only look their best when printed that way. But that's really beside the point if it's not what you want. Any screen printer should be capable of doing bullet-printing and other styles, depending on the design and the preferences of the customer.

So while they are telling the truth, I still agree that you should find another printer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
honeyflip said:
Hey folks,
What do you all think of screen-printing that results in a layer of ink that kinda sits on top of the fabric? I have t-shirts where the ink is right in the fabric so you can still see the weave of the cloth, and then I have t-shirts where the ink sits on top of the fabric. In the second case, does that mean the printer is doing a bad job, or is that merely an issue of taste?
thanks
Christopher
My daughter really like this form of printing, infact my youngest wants a t- shirt that says some catchy phrase with bubble letters.
Would you call it a bubble?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
honeyflip said:
I just tried one but they produced bullet-proof stuff and then claimed that it was excellent quality and quite normal. Perhaps it is, but the pancake-like aspect is somewhat off-putting. I need to find a different printer...
Chris
If you let the printer know before-hand what you're looking for, most will be happy to oblige to meet your needs.

I've found that the biggest problem is the pre-conception. Some folks are used to that type printing, so when they don't get it from a printer, they think the printed didn't put enough ink down.

Some folks don't want that much coverage, so when a printer gives them "bullet proof", then they think the printer did a bad job.

If the customer tells the shop what they are looking for up front to see if the shop can print the way they need the job printed, things seem to go much more smoothly.

The problem is that customers don't really know to ask (most think there is one kind and everything else is "bad printing") and printers don't really stop to ask, they usually just use the default which is what the majority of their particular customers happen to like (whether it be heavy or light coverage).

Just like marraige...communication is the key :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts