T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at both these machines for cutting heat transfer paper, will these machines do the job? And are the able to do detailed images with easy? Only have a small budget hence why these both seem perfect, just need some thing that can to A4 & A3.

Many thanks in advance.

· Registered
96 Posts
I have both,the Cameo and the SnC 550. I have not had much of a chance to use my Brother much yet.
I mainly use them for doing a sample cut of a design. I cut most of the multiple designs on a larger cutter.
If you are looking for a machine for transfers,either will work. The Cameo uses optical registration marks on the print to know where to cut. The Brother scans the transfer image then cuts around it.
I would recommend the Cameo and Make the Cut software. The design studio software works well,but the Make the Cut software has more options. The Brother does not hook up to a computer.You use their "cloud" software to design or format your image. It would work fine for cutting out transfers,but I am
sure you will want to cut heat vinyl sooner or later! You can use it for text or borders on your transfer images.
A gold glitter frame of heat vinyl around your photo is a real attention getter!

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for you all your information, been a massive help. Cameo should do me nicely. Very new to all this, but it's some think else I can now tick off my list of things I know I'm getting.

· Registered
39 Posts
I have both,the Cameo and the SnC 550. I have not had much of a chance to use my Brother much yet.
I mainly use them for doing a sample cut of a design. I cut most of the multiple designs on a larger cutter.
If you are looking for a machine for transfers,either will work. The Cameo uses optical registration marks on the print to know where to cut. The Brother scans the transfer image then cuts around it.
I would recommend the Cameo and Make the Cut software. The design studio software works well,but the Make the Cut software has more options. The Brother does not hook up to a computer.You use their "cloud" software to design or format your image. It would work fine for cutting out transfers,but I am
sure you will want to cut heat vinyl sooner or later! You can use it for text or borders on your transfer images.
A gold glitter frame of heat vinyl around your photo is a real attention getter!
Hello there mate. Whats the advantage of make the cut software? Is it free to use of i have to buy it. I have recently bought a cameo and it did very well on my sticker label for our office spareparts labels very accurate in print n cut feature but i only use the studio software bundle with the machine but i think it has limited feature and i dont have the silhouette connect yet to use adobe ilustrator.

· Registered
96 Posts
Make the cut software is to me,a lot more useful than design studio. You can download a demo copy of it to try. It isn't free,it is about $60 US. They keep it updated and there is a driver for the Cameo available.
Both the Scan N Cut and Cameo have videos on the web showing the print and cut (Cameo) or the Scan and Cut (Brother) process. I find both machines useful,but like I said the Cameo would be the better choice for you!

· Registered
6,511 Posts
I cut 75 transfers using the Silhouette Cameo. After that, even on a different day, the Silhouette won't line up and cut properly. It also won't cut my vinyl.

I left a message on Silhouette Cameo help line. They called 24 hours later and said please call back and they only give the main number. I called back and they said someone will call back within 24 hours. I called again, and the same thing.

Personally, I've had a bad experience. 75 cuts, and I have to throw the thing away. It doesn't work.

· Registered
96 Posts
You are always going to have some unhappy owners of any product! I can't say what the problem is with his Cameo. It might have been user error,or it could have been a worn out,or loose blade. I have found it is a good idea to keep a couple of new blades on hand. I bought my machine when it first came out.There were many defective blades.Most of the people just had paper or vinyl stuck in the cartridge. There are videos on how to open the cartridge to clean it out. If Selanac hasn't tried a new blade yet,he should.
By the way,I have a lot more than 75 cuts on my Cameo. True,not many were transfers.

· Registered
687 Posts
Hello there mate. Whats the advantage of make the cut software? Is it free to use of i have to buy it. I have recently bought a cameo and it did very well on my sticker label for our office spareparts labels very accurate in print n cut feature but i only use the studio software bundle with the machine but i think it has limited feature and i dont have the silhouette connect yet to use adobe ilustrator.
Have you tried Version 3 yet? Still a few kinks (Silhouette was on the case after a poor initial release and continues to improve the software.) Might be more competitive with Make the Cut. I don't know. I just use the Designer Edition.

I use the Cameo for vinyl and transfers and other paper. All the problems I've had required minor fixes; the machine's never been down for a day and Silhouette is quite dedicated to customer support.

A few months back, I asked the Silhouette Plus board if anyone had replaced their Cameo yet. None had.

· Registered
12 Posts
I also use the Cameo and MTC software... Never looked back - I use it on vinyl and iron on vinyl too - I haven't kept track of times or uses , but just today, I cut 12 images out of iron on vinyl - I also recommend having a spare blade in case I need it as I can not have my machine out of commission...

· Registered
782 Posts
I'm going with the cameo, seems the best suited for me and like you said there will always be people who have bad luck with a product.
1+ Another satisfied Cameo owner. Truth is, I should be arrested for the way I abuse mine. 7 days a week I cut. 100+ yards of vinyl transfers and magnetic sheets a week. I love mine and if it did die today, I'd buy another one in a minute.

CalhTech>

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.