T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
comments on Brother GT-541 vs. Anajet. Like the Brother, afraid of not doing white ink.
Kinda of funny statement about white ink. Heard the same thing from several other people before they bought their printers and now some of them are afraid to print white ink. White ink printing is not for everyone. It cost substantially more in time, effort and cost. For some companies with the correct business plan, it is more than worthwhile to print with white ink. For many others, it does not make sense.

In the end, you should really do your homework on creating a good business plan and determining whether your customers / target market(s) are willing to pay the extra cost for dark garments. This upfront work can make all the difference in how successful you are going to be in dtg printing.

Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take it from someone that had both Epson based printers and finally got smart and bought a Brother. The GT 541 is the better printer and you can make more money with it. If you buy an Epson based printer I hope you have a lot of hair as you will be bald before its all over.:)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would start hands down with a brother 541, paid for itself in 11 months, 0 hiccups in 1 year. If you are looking for a printer that will make you money and give you 0 hassle ( although nothing is trouble free in life this machine certainly was for me) buy this one. If you want higher margins in relation to ink, or planing to do big orders I might look at other offerings. For single prints or very small runs is very profitable. Whte ink is nice to have but it is also expensive, I'm glad I started in dtg with a Lights solution only, certainly made me want more,a nd there is always time to upgrade ( when buying your machine try to talk the salesman into an upgrade path to another machine or you can buy another printer for blacks eventually.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
80% of my prints do not use white ink, but when needed and if you are not afraid to charge extra for white ink, you can add to your bottom line by offering it. I chose the Veloci-Jet over the 541 and the experience has been hassle free. Yes, there is a little more maintenance (about 10 minutes per day) and a short learning curve, but it's really not a big deal. Veloci-Jet ink cost are lower than Brother, too. I'm not bashing Brother. I think they offer great machines, but I really wanted to offer white ink and was not willing to pay the price of the 782.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with iTiki. LEARN what it takes to operate with white ink before you make your decision. It is a completely different animal. I could personally never imagine buying a $20k machine and not even be able to print on dark shirts with it...but there are plenty of people that will swear by their Brothers and that have created good business simply by printing on light garments. Because of them, I am able to charge a lot more for my dark garments but you have to be willing to go the extra mile with preventative maintenance. I have my process down to a few minutes at the end of the day. Plus I print with white ink every single day. It was worth it to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that you can buy a Brother GT 541 for 15K now. They even have a Brother leasing program with zero percent intrest. If I was going to buy a Epson based printer I would buy it as cheap as possible as it will be dead and broken down before you know it. There are Anajets on Ebay for 5K and Tjets for 2K.
Buy a Brother for 15K to do most of your work and then buy a Ebay machine for your darks as it wont get much use.:)

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
15k? where... I know you can get it at 15k if you do a trade in.

I wonder if your talking about my pal Josh who sells them off back of truck in back alley

·
Registered
39 Posts
No Mr. Jack anyone can buy them from any Brother dealer at the 15K price with a trade in...wink..wink. I traded in my Junk-jet and recieved a 5K discount but now anyone can give them a Epson 1800 or any other model and get the same deal. Seeing is believing so here is the link to the Brother web page. Just click on the promotion form and it will give you the details.:)
http://www.brother-usa.com/Promotions/Default.aspx?ProductGroupID=18

·
Registered
244 Posts
so, by minimal cleaning, and printing one white ink garment (or tote bag or picture or sample) per day, you can keep the machine hassle free?

·
Registered
128 Posts
We bought a Brother about 18 months ago and are super happy with it. We have made a ton of money with it with no equipment problems. 6 months ago we purchased a printer to print white ink (not a Brother).

HUGE mistake, nothing but problems, lost $$$ and time...DON"T DO IT if you want to keep your sanity and money.

Yes, you may lose a few jobs, but if you are thinking of gets one of these $15-$20 white ink printers you had better be prepared to lose the entire amount.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Coooome on White ink aint so BAAAAAD! Stop scaring the guy lol . We get 40 10x12 images an hour on dark shirts and 60 on white shirts. I say look at overall speed, maintenance and longevity cause you really don't want to make money to have to buy another machine later. Take your time and do full analytical research. Wish you the best! Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you'll get much farther with a 541 and no white ink, than you will with an anajet w/ white ink.

the brother printer works, the anajet doesn't!

·
Registered
37 Posts
White ink is not for the guy who thinks he is going to go out and sell and hire a high school kid at $9/hour to print. Anajet is fine if you give it lots of love and attention. It's 30k cheaper than the Brother 782, so you can't expect it to be in the same league. The Brother 541 can be run by a trained monkey. The 782 we have more issues with, MUST run it regularly and do the maintenance. Definitely not for everyone.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts