T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Has anyone else heard that Brother is getting ready to release a new white ink dtg printer before the end of the year [2008] ?

I have now been told by a couple of people who are normally in the know when it comes to things like this, that Brother will be bringing out a new white ink dtg printer.

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I have not heard anything about a brother with white ink. There have been many rumors like that in the past and all proved to be false. It would be interesting but I have not heard anything that says that day is coming in the near future :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like you, I have heard all the rumors in the past of a white ink Brother dtg printer ... so I don't normally get too excited when I hear news of a white ink printer from Brother.

However, this time around I got the news from a couple of people [not connected to each other] who should have an inside track on this sort of thing. Apparently, "pre-release" printed samples which were done on the white ink Brother are even being circulated to select people.

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
When I asked last time at the NBM show in long beach, I was told that they would come out with a white ink printing printer when they could come up with an ink that prints the same as the cmyk, and I said to the rep well that would be never then because any white ink has to have titanium oxide to make it opaque and that requires maintenance :) and he agreed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was given the distinct impression from a rep at the Providence RI show in July that "it was very likely Brother would have something by the Atlantic City show in March 2009" I took more "stock" in the fact that they were offering $5000 discounts on the existing units at the show. Thinking maybe they want to reduce inventory? Hope they do, I really like the printer, but not if I can't print on dark shirts. Guess we have wait and see.
Karen Souza

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
IF one is going to be released, it might happen at SGIA as this is the show that most of the new equipment is released out because of the international exposure it receives. Otherwise, Long Beach would be the next logical show. But things do happen in this industry that is not logical. Guess we will have to wait a couple more weeks to see.

Let everyone know if something comes out at the ISS Ft. Worth Show

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Yea that is the thing that until something comes out its really speculation. It would be interesting but so far I have not seen anything to indicate that this going to happen.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One person I talked to hinted that October '08 will see the official release of Brother's white ink printer. Another said sometime before the end of this year .... guess time will tell ????

Bob

·
Registered
548 Posts
I will believe it when i see it.

They already have a following and a rep of plug and play so i cant see them risking the white unless they have something perfect

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IF one is going to be released, it might happen at SGIA as this is the show that most of the new equipment is released out because of the international exposure it receives. Otherwise, Long Beach would be the next logical show. But things do happen in this industry that is not logical. Guess we will have to wait a couple more weeks to see.

Let everyone know if something comes out at the ISS Ft. Worth Show

The SGIA [Oct 15-18] would fit the October release timeline that one fella had suggested. Guess we wait and see.

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I will believe it when i see it.

They already have a following and a rep of plug and play so i cant see them risking the white unless they have something perfect

That is the thing too is that white will never be as easy as cmyk, the properties of the ink are too different. Once you add the titanium oxide into the mix that is a whole other issue, and will be the same maintenance as any other white printing machine. It will also require the user to have to use a rip as well. So it will basically be the same as any of the epsons out there as far as the care and learning will be concerned. That is why it is interesting to me to see if they ever do it, but I dont think they will.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone else heard that Brother is getting ready to release a new white ink dtg printer before the end of the year [2008] ?

I have now been told by a couple of people who are normally in the know when it comes to things like this, that Brother will be bringing out a new white ink dtg printer.

Bob
We just bought our GT-541 a few weeks ago. The salesman told me the white ink printer is being shown at the show in Long Beach in January.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was given the distinct impression from a rep at the Providence RI show in July that "it was very likely Brother would have something by the Atlantic City show in March 2009" I took more "stock" in the fact that they were offering $5000 discounts on the existing units at the show. Thinking maybe they want to reduce inventory? Hope they do, I really like the printer, but not if I can't print on dark shirts. Guess we have wait and see.
Karen Souza

Hi Karen,
I'm curious, did you really mean $5,000.00 discount OR $500.00 discount on the Brother 541 ?? We just purchased ours and we sure didn't get THAT discount ? :p !!! Thanks, Lollie

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm curious, did you really mean $5,000.00 discount OR $500.00 discount on the Brother 541 ?? We just purchased ours and we sure didn't get THAT discount ? :p !!! Thanks, Lollie
Usually, discounts like that are only offered at the tradeshows and conventions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lollie,
Yeah that was $5000, but that was a "show" discount. I just thought it was a really large discount. Most of the time you get $1000 - $2000 - maybe some extras. That's what made me think they were really trying to move some of the machines. I really think they eventually have to step up, I don't think they want to be the only company that has a machine that won't print white!
We'll see. Post up if anyone hears more!
Karen

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lollie,
Yeah that was $5000, but that was a "show" ...really large discount. That's what made me think they were really trying to move some of the machines...
....eventually have to step up, We'll see. .... Karen
Karen,
Thanks for the reply ....I see we're "thinking" the same way!! (and I'm relieved because as I said, I didn't get that good of a discount, but I now know that I got at least "the standard" !!! (Whew!) Lollie :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw the Brother prototype unit yesterday at the SGIA show.
The good - white ink that is white, not grey and has good coverage.

The bad - This unit is a monster two platen unit

·
Registered
286 Posts
the 2 platen isn't bad, it's what needed to happen to get production up. A single platen printer is too slow. Now, the size, that is a downside. Add in a tunnel dryer, pretreat machine, and pretty soon it ain't gonna fit in your average room.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts