T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now! Im D.I.Y., and poor. Just like everyone else. Only, Im really, really poor! So I have a wierd question, and I already know I should buy a new screen at this point! But...

I have 20+ broken screens w/ holes in them. But I have one screen that has a very small puncture hole and Im wondering if I take mesh from another screen and make two 1/4" x 1/4" squares and glue them to both sides of the hole - do you think it would hold up??? Its not a big hole, and its near the wood, no where near the design area?

Ive bought more screens, but I hate the fact that I cant re-use my screens because a little freakin hole and I know there has to be a way I can use it a few more times? Atleast I hope!

So, Im asking the professionals? I know its dumb and I should just buy a new screen. But give me your thoughts on to what might work to have this screen work just a few more rounds!

Thank you!

·
Registered
214 Posts
As long as it's not in the design area, you can patch it. I use a piece of mesh, and blockout.

The tension wont be as high, but on one color jobs it won't be a huge issue

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
If the hole is far from the image area, just tape it off. You don't even need to worry about mesh. If it's a small hole, just tape it after you expose the screen. If it's large (large enough for emulsion to pool through), tape it off more thoroughly before you even coat the screen. It will affect your screen tension, but it won't necessarily stop you getting a good print. The worst thing about small holes is just that they eventually become big holes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thank goodness for tape!!!!!!!!!!! Use it all the time on those pesky holes. Of course when your son goes heads up on an automatic with a can of adhesive sitting on the platen sometimes the hole is too big to patch :)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Use mesh adhesive in a circle around the tear so it can't get larger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts