T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I live in Paraguay and buy the DTG KIOSK and BROTHER GT-541, the two work very well for me, I have the 2 machines from 4 months ago.
I have a few questions for you. Can I use another ink cheaper for these two machines?
The dealer sold me my ink of the DTG KIOSK to $ 65 each bottle 4 OZ. And the ink of BROTHER GT-541 to A $ 145 each cartridge.
It seems to me that these inks very expensive here in Paraguay since I can not sell the T-shirts so expensive.
Where can I buy other cheaper inks without harming the head of the printer?
I hope your help.
Thank you, and forgive my poor English, I was hard to write in English.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
The Ink sold by dtg is dupont. If you can find another suppier for dupont ink cheaper it is the same as what you purchased thru dtg. As far as the brother, unfortunately that ink you can only get thru brother distributors.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Santos,

SunnyDayz is right the ink used by DTG is DuPont ink. I have customers using it with their DTG machines.

I am not sure if anyone has tried to use DuPont inks in the Brother machine, if they have it would be really interesting to hear about their experience.

Rod

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
If you are under warranty I would not try different inks in your brother printer, The brother printheads are different as they are not epson based like all the other printers out there, other than the kornit as they also have their own printheads.

The brother is based solely on brother technology as far as the printhead and I would check before putting other kinds of ink thru the brother printhead, I dont think this would be a good idea. As far as your kiosk, as long as the ink works with an epson based printhead it should be fine with the kiosk as it also is an epson based printhead.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Dupont ink in a brother machine does not work that great. The visocity of the two inks is different. Because of the differences in the Brother print head, the brother ink has more pigment in it and is much more thicker than Dupont. By changing the visocity of ink, it will change the amount of ink is fired out of the print head. Not to mention the differences in colors / profiles.

Whatever you do, don't try and run the Kornit ink through an Epson print head. That just does not work at all. Just some things that I have learned over the years. This is a good discussion though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you for giving me your answer. It has been very helpful.
Some time ago I was working with 3,000 T-Shirts for a local brewhouse, and we were working on that with the BROTHER machine. When it was about to finish there was a lack of ink, so I charged the DGT KIOSK ink with syringe to the BROTHER GT-541 cartouch and kept producing in that way. I printed 300 T-Shirts with KIOSK ink without any problem. That was 3 months ago. The BROTHER is still working without trouble.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Santos,

Are you saying that the colors came out exactly the same using the Kiosk ink as the Brother ink? I find it hard to believe, but it might be posssible. Did you do a wash test on the shirts that you mixed the two inks?

I can tell you that if you switched it around and put the Brother ink into the Kiosk, you are going to have problems. Definitely a risk that I am not sure many would take when you are risking four $1000.00 print heads (the cost in the U.S.). Glad it worked out for you and your printer is still working. Best of luck.

Mark

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks you for giving me your answer. It has been very helpful.
Some time ago I was working with 3,000 T-Shirts for a local brewhouse, and we were working on that with the BROTHER machine. When it was about to finish there was a lack of ink, so I charged the DGT KIOSK ink with syringe to the BROTHER GT-541 cartouch and kept producing in that way. I printed 300 T-Shirts with KIOSK ink without any problem. That was 3 months ago. The BROTHER is still working without trouble.
I have read of a number of Brother owners choosing to use other inks in their Brother printer, but as with any modification, it is a choice that should be evaluated carefully.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Let me chime in here. The different distributors of the the DTG machines use different ink manufacturers and, in some cases, different software RIPs. I would be willing to bet that you could get better pricing on the ink you are using by ordering larger quantities from the vendor you buy from currently.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, I have a Anajet, can I use different ink in this machine? I was hoping to use a bulk ink system. I just don't know if it would be ok.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
there is DTG ink brand and there was a test was thing posted here somewhere and was just as good as Dupoint inks that are used in the Anajet printer

·
Registered
28 Posts
So quick question a couple people alluded to the DTG printer ink being Dupont. Is that just he Artistri ink you can buy directly from Dupont? And has anyone done that? Is it cheaper then going through a Distributer because you are cutting out the middle man?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts