T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I wish I could have found this site 5 years ago!!! I have been sitting on some designs because I am in the little town of Kingman AZ and I am not an artist. I come up with the ideas for different tees ( alot with bowling ) but i can't draw very well.

Any way hello everyone, I hope this is the break I have been looking for! What do I need to know to get my designs produced and marketed to web sites like bowlers paradise, etc.? What pitfalls should I avoid?

Thanks, I am very excited

Jim

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
Hi Jim, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums!

You could try getting the designs printed yourself and selling them through your onw website (targeted bowlers). You could also contact the bowlers paradise website by phone or email and ask them if they take design submissions.

I would suggest hiring an artist (or going to a screen printer that can offer you free artwork) and getting the design madeup yourself and create a website that targets bowlers. Seems like there is room for a niche market like t-shirts geared towards bowlers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rodney,
Thanks for the info. So far I am learning alot, I have spent the last 3 days looking through all I can on this site. I did contact one artist who wants $150 per design with no add. charge for redos til its the way I like it( some of my ideas are going to be complex). There are all kinds of sites for bowlers and their novelty's but I haven't seen anything like my ideas. How do shirt designs end up at wallmart or k-mart, etc.?
If your printing a large number of shirts 1000 or more do you stil want to use screen printing?
Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
$150 per design sounds like a good price.

Shirt designs end up in walmart/kmart/stores by t-shirt designers contacting the corporate "buyers" for those store through various methods (phone, snail mail, and more often than not: tradeshows).

In my opinion, I think screen printing is the ONLY way to go if you're producing shirts of 1000 or more per design.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I used this place (http://www.t-shirtlogos.com/) for designers before I hired a few. You post the job and designers will bid for the completed project. For a decent design by a good designer will usually run you between $100 - $200.

Don't deal w/ anyone that doesn't have a portfolio on the site, or email you some examples. Also, I often found there’s no correlation between what people bid and their skill or quality of work. One shirt I did a designer bid $50… everyone else was over $150. I figured his portfolio was going to provide a good laugh. His stuff was unreal!

Also a great place for designers to pick-up some work!

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
CHL, you are right about there not being any correlation between what designers bid and their quality of work. I think it's one of the few instances where the saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't really apply.

There are some very good designers that will bid very low, because they can work quickly, and still do an excellent job. They also know that once people see their portfolio, that they know they are getting a great bargain. The designer is able to stay busy with lots of work, continue to build an excellent portfolio, and the consumer gets a great product at a great price. I think the good ones that do that are very smart.

el guapo, I would suggest you find one of the freelance sites and look at some portfolios, and even get some feedback from past clients. Once you find a good designer, they should be able to take your designs that you've made, and make them look exceptional.

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
I've used www.designoutpost.com quite a few times with great results. Similar concept as t-shirtlogos.com except that you post your bid amount first and the designers post proposals to win that bid.

So you actually get to see the designs and get minor revisions before picking a designer. Once you pick the "winning" designer, you can ask for as many revisions as you like to make it "perfect".

It allows you to get different perspectives on your project and it's a pretty cool process (as the designers post mockups, you give them feedback about what you like and don't like).

·
Registered
3 Posts
WWW. Threadless.com has a submission link on their site. You can submit a shirt design and they will sell and produce them. I amd not sure if it costs or if you get any of the profits though. However, they have a lot of cool things happening there.

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
writer23 said:
WWW. Threadless.com has a submission link on their site. You can submit a shirt design and they will sell and produce them. I amd not sure if it costs or if you get any of the profits though. However, they have a lot of cool things happening there.
I think that's a little different than what they're talking about above :)

They are looking for people to design artwork for them so they can sell them in their own store, not design artwork for someone else to produce and sell.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Writer23 - at least a got a good laugh today.

Rodney - that looks like a great site. Next time my designers get stuck, I'm going to check it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, Thanks everyone!!!! I'll keep you posted. I hope to have my first design out next month if possible, I still want to look at all my options and your great suggestions before getting started.

Bowl on

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know you are way up in Kingman, AZ (I'm a native Tucsonan), but maybe there are some artists in the Sedona area? Or even some design students at NAU, ASU or UofA that need to build a portfolio. Just a thought. Wow $50 to $150 for design seems to be a really good price considering I use to pay $50-plus per hour back in the early 90s for collateral design work. Susan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts