T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brand name I'm thinking of has the word "death" in it. I'm concerned that printing such a name on my shirts could repel potential customers who may not want to walk around with a violent sounding name on their clothing. I would have dropped the name were it not for the fact that it is a historical term that fits my artwork quite well. Basically, I draw a lot of warriors(with swords, shields, axes, armor, etc.) and I've been told that my possible markets would be fans of MMA, heavy metal, video games, and motorcycles. Anyone have opinions on whether or not this name would work?

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a MMA Brand with Death in their name. Around here I see people wearing them all the time. A lot of my Heavy Metal friends love anything to do with death on shirts. My one friends favorite **** says "Mommy can I go out and kill tonight?" If it reflects the styles of the designs and potential target market, I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with the above posters. If it speaks to you target market, use it. IMHO, you should pick a name that you feel comfortable overhearing ppl talk about or reading in an article. However, as a philosophical side note, Death is inevitable. Murder, on the opposite hand, is a decision.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Too be honest I like the name, however I'm into heavy metal, video gaming and basically what you said your target is. I was thinking of doing my own tee line called Psychotic Impressions and I think thats violent but thats what a lot of kids/teens are into and even some adults.

·
Registered
447 Posts
True, teens, kids, and some adults are into violence and death. Aren't these the same kind of kids who take weapons into school and slaughter their classmates and teachers? Should we as adults encourage and promote violence? Where do you suppose these kids keep coming up with this stuff? It is from adults who are more interested in money than they are in setting an example for the next generation to follow. I seem to be the only one commenting here who sees a problem with glorifying violent behavior. There are people in society who do act out violently when just wearing a shirt with an offensive message on it doesn't get them enough of a thrill.
I haven't seen the designs.. but I assure you "death" is not the same as "murder". I didn't see where he mentioned "murder", only death which, incidentally is a part of life.

·
Registered
136 Posts
True, teens, kids, and some adults are into violence and death. Aren't these the same kind of kids who take weapons into school and slaughter their classmates and teachers? Should we as adults encourage and promote violence? Where do you suppose these kids keep coming up with this stuff? It is from adults who are more interested in money than they are in setting an example for the next generation to follow. I seem to be the only one commenting here who sees a problem with glorifying violent behavior. There are people in society who do act out violently when just wearing a shirt with an offensive message on it doesn't get them enough of a thrill.
To be honest this comment is personal view. I was facinated with death, heavy metal also Black Metal, I wore disgusting tshirts etc when I went to school. I never took a gun to school or even thought about it. I however beat people up cause they threatened me. So its not the clothing, or images that make someone snap into a frenzy its people that push other people. When someone has had enough they will do whatever it takes to make the problem go away. Unfortunately its usually murder.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with kissfan, I dont think a shirt with the word "death" would make someone go into a killing frenzy, that depends on how they are brought up, & other circumstances, I think that if it helps to sell the artwork on your shirts and goes with it why not, its not like your drawing people getting murdered on your shirts, comic books have a lot of violence in them but I think we all enjoy them for their artwork and story lines

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was bullied throughout school from kindergarten through high school. I didn't get into the goth clothing, I didn't fight anyone, I didn't dress in clothing depicting violence or "death" or murder. One thing that these kids who do go to school and murder have in common is the goth lifestyle which includes the whole subculture of dress, hair, tattoos, music, network of friends, graphic and violent video games.

I didn't say that wearing a shirt with the word "death" on it would create a killing frenzy. But it is a very real part of the larger picture and the further someone descends into "darkness of the soul" the more likely they are to exhibit anti-social behavior - up to and including murder.

I'm a woman. Does that make a difference here? I'm thinking it does because I think I'm the only woman who posted on this thread. Maybe women just feel a strong sense of responsibility towards society, especially youthful members.

"Maybe women just feel a strong sense of responsibility towards society, especially youthful members"

Maybe women do.. but I hope you were not implying that men do not? Gender doesn't have anything to do with sense of responisibilty towards society. That sense comes from culture, upbringing, and maturity.

"One thing that these kids who do go to school and murder have in common is the goth lifestyle which includes the whole subculture of dress, hair, tattoos, music, network of friends, graphic and violent video games. "

Of course if this were a debate you would have to substantiate the claim that they ALL have a goth lifestyle in common. I know plenty of goth kids and adults that do not kill people. And I also know plenty of stories where, for example, pastors, church leaders, and seemingly "straight laced" men and women ended up killing. (BTK, Dahmer, V.Tech shooting etc)

A shirt will not cause someone to kill. A bad day will not cause someone to kill. A lifestyle will not cause someone to kill. Ignorance and hatred is what causes people to kill/murder. And that is found in ALL cultures: goth, christian, gay, contemporary, nudist, pop, etc.

Trying to shield someone from all the realities of life , in my oppinion, only causes more curiosty for the person to indulge.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I say go for it. If it fits your target market then they wont be offended. I have always followed Bill Cosby when doing anything for my side business..
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."

Good luck with your venture, I wish you much success.

Renee

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the opinions, everyone. Sounds like I may be going with this this name. However I am still deciding between the death name and another name which is both a variation of my real name and a name for the devil. What a coincidence that both of my potential brand names would be offensive to Ilben.
It's definitely fine for those targets you've specified! I know alot of people interested in Death Metal that would actually be pleased to wear that on a shirt. What's the actual name of the brand?
I don't want to post the actual name. Sorry, but I get all paranoid about revealing names/designs before I get the product out there. I know it's probably an irrational fear, but that's just the way I am. However, the other word in the name is not at all violent.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
ironically, bill cosby would probably not approve of 'death' on a shirt, lol.

suffice to say that people murder for their own reasons, and it has nothing to do with shirts or music. plenty of killers and rapists look absolutely normal as that's their disguise, and you can't judge a person's mental state by the shirt they wear. all that you might glean from someone's t-shirt is *maybe* that's something they enjoy. a 'death' shirt isn't advocating anything other than perhaps an attitude. (my bro-n-law is a tattoo artist and a stocky guy. you wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley based on his looks, but he's really one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.)

if violent imagery were taboo, there wouldn't be any MMA lines at all, would there? lol. for that matter, a whole lot of cathedral sculpture wouldn't have been made. indeed, one cathedral in east europe is entirely decorated with human bones (google 'bone church,' that should do the trick). plenty, if not all or most, of medieval art depicts a skull along with mary.

it's about context. for example, i have a rough design of a succubi and under it it says DILF. clearly it's humourous (sorta) and doesn't mean or promote anything, but it could be debated that it's by far more offensive than any shirt with a lot of cuss words on it. for most tees, it's not so much the words as the images anyway.

there are so many ways to debate it that it's almost pointless. i don't think my KISS and DIO tees warped my fragile little mind, and i've almost barely hardly killed anyone in, like, weeks, and when i do it's usually just because the dog talked me into it. if we were to remove all 'violent,' sexual, 'offensive' words, and designs that supposedly reflect some kind of negative lifestyle, like harley, it would be a very dull landscape indeed.

as far as 'death' in a brand name, no qualms from me whatsoever.

just for fun, if you want to really be offended just check out some commercials aimed at kids. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.