T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought a gt-541 and a used sp 300 versacamm. got new inks in and called a local supplier who wants 1500.00 for 1 day training which seems kind of high. I have downloaded every manual and such for the printer and bought new inks.Eco Solvent

Do i need a special rip software to use this bad boy? Can I print stratight from acrobat or photoshop or is a rip recomended?

I got a new computer but was told I was better off using my older computer which has cs 3 and windows xp, is that a better computer to use?

are these super hard to use? I have a cannon large format printer now and it had its own rip from cannon but does not cut just prints,

1-do i need to invest in a special rip software?
2-is there a huge learning curve with this unit?
3-what is a fair price to pay for training and help?

Lastly, what is the best soft hand material for doing dark tees?

I want to mainly do dark tees and window and vehicle graphics. After I can get some business and grow the market some I think then i will upgrade to the 54" unit new but I got a very good deal on this and the guy who sold it gave me a money back guarentee if I had to spend more than 2500.00 on the unit, it powers right up and was working at the shop it was shipped from. If anyone can point me in the right direction and share your thughts I would really appreciate it. This does not seem like the type of machine where you can get a guy a few cases of beer and be ready to rock. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some direction and advice. I am in Maryland and if there are any techs who are looking for some side work i would be happy to entertain a price quote on setting this up and getting some training as well. I just left a message with another local supplier to see what they are asking and offering also on the support and supply side.

Take Care

· Registered
539 Posts
The sp300 is easy to use. You have to use roland versaworks to rip the files.
You need a vector based program. We get the best resulty using Illustrator eps files as you need a contour cut line around the outside of the design, which is the a limitating factor with print and cut.

We use xp and not windows 7.

1 no vesaworks
2 no by far easier than DTG. Go to the Roland forums
3 dont know

Use the Stahls printable vinyl.

It is easy. You will need training to print vehicle graphics but I would attend a Roland training day!!!!

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
everything looks so easy on you tube and then when you get it in the day of training and those easy breezy videos seem light years away, thanks again for the tips, is the versaworks a free program or must i purchase?

thanks

· Registered
2,135 Posts
Hello, I bought a gt-541 and a used sp 300 versacamm. got new inks in and called a local supplier who wants 1500.00 for 1 day training which seems kind of high. I have downloaded every manual and such for the printer and bought new inks.Eco Solvent

Congratulations!

Do i need a special rip software to use this bad boy? Can I print stratight from acrobat or photoshop or is a rip recomended?
You need Versaworks, you'll have to buy it through a Roland authorized dealer or from them direct.

I got a new computer but was told I was better off using my older computer which has cs 3 and windows xp, is that a better computer to use?
IMHO you'd be better off with a XP machine, drivers for Win7 are probably on Rolands site, but I have read where some folks have had issues with Win7.

are these super hard to use? I have a cannon large format printer now and it had its own rip from cannon but does not cut just prints
Nope easy to use, plenty of video's on the net (youtube) that will help you learn how to use the machine.

1-do i need to invest in a special rip software?
2-is there a huge learning curve with this unit?
3-what is a fair price to pay for training and help?
#1 yes, #2 not really, #3 hard to estimate, we have a VP540, never took any training and haven't had but a very few problems (user error), there is a website called my versacamm that you can get a lot of help from, also here on TSF.

Lastly, what is the best soft hand material for doing dark tees?
Wow! that's a loaded question lol! Color print evolution was I think the best we used as far as printed material, but to be honest we never liked the product and bought a DTG for shirts.

I want to mainly do dark tees and window and vehicle graphics.
The Roland will open a lot of doors for you from banners to vehicle graphics, signage, heat press material, decals, etc.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i have to check i think it is just a 300, the local dealer i gave serial # to said it is 4-5 years old but was sold / left warehouse 3 years ago, I checked around and it seemed to be the best price I could find and the money back guarentee sealed the deal

· Registered
242 Posts
The best thing to do regarding material is ask for samples and do your own tests to see which one you like best. It is worth the investment to make a few phone calls and ask for samples. Some companies will give you free samples as long as you own a print and cut machine. Some may charge you.

The Roland SP300 is quite easy to use. I would also recommend training as you will need to do some maintenance to the machine and also it will allow you to utilize all the functions the machine is built with.

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, i got the gt-541, had now for maybe 3 weeks and have 1200 prints and only told about 4 people we got have not really even pushed it yet as we are still toying and learning. I was all set to buy another dtg, the ms-one due to image size and print quality and was very impressed with everything i have seen. Looking at the velocijet now as well, sent them an email/pm but have not heard back. i got an awesome reply to a question in the ms thread, honestly it scared me. The amount of maintanance required on the white ink epson based printers has me nervous. I broker most my screen print up until getting the brother and I walk away from so much short run stuff it made me go dtg, thought the versacamm would scratch my itch for the darks, even thought about a yudu for a while, may get the 4 color table top unit (screen) for my real small run darks, or just broker them out.

Is every white ink unit really maintanance intensive. The reply to my question about the ms said that I would have 3-4 hours of maintanance after every 100 prints and that seems like too much honestly. Is the velocijet or any white ink (4 white/cmyk) unit going to be that labor and maintanance intensive? if so i will push transfers or just broker dark tees and set a minimum of 13 like i always have. The roi is high to meet that niche market. I am a full service digital paper printer now, like a kinkos so its all due yesterday work, my thought was that if you need it that fast and small run then its a transfer or I will send them to a competitor and let them drive the competitor nuts.

The whole thing we are striving for is full service, excellent quality like we have with our paper business and quick turn times. I am shooting for kinko's and embroid me hybrid shop with banners and vehicle graphics now as added product lines.

thanks for the help. I appreciate all of you folks who take the time to reply and share your knowledge and experiences. it has been a big help to me in expanding my market and business

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.