T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anybody have any reccomendations from their experience of good books that deal with selling? It'll be great to hear your opinions...thanks!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I don't think any book can offer you the knowledge you need. The best way to gain knowledge in selling is to get a good grip on your product. have samples and information about your product and be willing to fail.We retailers are in control but we are also out of business if we don't have items to sell. Practice with a friend your 'spiel" Learn to be relaxed. Be professional and prepared. If you are cold calling on a store expect rejection but try to get an appointment at an appropriate time. Even though a buyer is in control remember you are also a business person so don't beg. "It is not rejection, it is experience learned."(badalouism 349003.) When you are rejected make a note of why. Did you have all your tools in plain site, samples in hand, sales info etc. One of the most important things you need to do even if you get rejected is to leave the business with something in their hand. Me I hate business cards. I make up 4 x 6 photo cards with my product at the smallest to full blown 8 x 10. If you have never done this before it might be hard but it is not. Most of the time it is just fear of rejection. try spending 5 years writing a book and then get a rejected... about a zillion times.
OK it was more like 20, but it felt like a zillion. And no I never got the book published, but I got experience in writing it.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
"It is not rejection, it is experience learned."(badalouism 349003.)
I like that one, Lou!

One of the most challenging parts of "selling" is getting over the fear of "asking for what you want to happen" for fear of the "no".

I don't know of any books that can teach that, but here are a few that might help:

http://www.futurenowinc.com/publications.htm

"Call to Action"
"Waiting for your Cat to Bark"

For edutainment sake, you could also watch Boiler Room and Glengary Glenross on DVD and pick up only the good stuff (leave out the part about cheating people ;))

·
Registered
55 Posts
DriverInc said:
Hey does anybody have any reccomendations from their experience of good books that deal with selling? It'll be great to hear your opinions...thanks!
I'm currently reading How to Grow Your Business without spending a single cent by Justin Herald. While the book isn't about selling per se, he has three excellent chapters on customer service that might lend themselves to your cause.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the info/advice Lou, this is my weak point too. I hate walking into a store "cold", so I don't do it... Which doesn't help my business! I feel like I'm begging. Will need to get over that. I believe in my product, so I just need to change my head about this!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I believe in my product
That is the first part of being successful. What you have to do is have clear understanding of the products the store carries. And then explain to the person buying how your product will benefit them. What is unique about your product. Why would I buy it..

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Our sales are mostly local. We bring samples of our products or even wear them. When asked where we got that cool hat...ChaChing!

·
Registered
175 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Red-Bo...01/ref=pd_sim_b_1/102-5976305-6943344?ie=UTF8
Jeffrey Gittomers Little Red Book of Selling
I'd recomend this but for once I would disagree with Rodney on Waiting for Your Cat to Bark as I've just finished reading it, it's heavy going. The Guerrilla Marketing books by Jay Conrad Levinson , George Silverman's The Secrets of Word of Mouth Marketing and Seth Godins Unleashing the IdeaVirus are all good reads

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The Guerrilla Marketing books by Jay Conrad Levinson
These books have been amazing for us. For the most part, we were doing it already, but these books helped us refine it.

I hate walking into a store "cold", so I don't do it... Which doesn't help my business! I feel like I'm begging.
I hate it too.....but we forced ourselves to do it. We are not hard hitting sellers....very soft sell. Its worked amazing for us. We go in with a quick hello, hand them our business card and our brochure, and tell them in a 15 sec blurb what we do, and then say as we are walking out to give us a call if we can be of any help to them. On every outing we have done, we have gained a min of 2 new clients. Usually we will hit a 4 block section of business once a week. ......then give them your best service with your guarantee of your work, and you've hooked a customer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My favourite is Guerrilla Creativity Making your message irresistible with the Power of Memes.
Meme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme
The Guerrilla Marketing Revolution
Precision Persuasion of the Unconcious Mind
Levinson and Paul Hanley. Deals with NeuroLinguistic Programming

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
badalou said:
I don't think any book can offer you the knowledge you need. The best way to gain knowledge in selling is to get a good grip on your product. have samples and information about your product and be willing to fail.We retailers are in control but we are also out of business if we don't have items to sell. Practice with a friend your 'spiel" Learn to be relaxed. Be professional and prepared. If you are cold calling on a store expect rejection but try to get an appointment at an appropriate time. Even though a buyer is in control remember you are also a business person so don't beg. "It is not rejection, it is experience learned."(badalouism 349003.) When you are rejected make a note of why. Did you have all your tools in plain site, samples in hand, sales info etc. One of the most important things you need to do even if you get rejected is to leave the business with something in their hand. Me I hate business cards. I make up 4 x 6 photo cards with my product at the smallest to full blown 8 x 10. If you have never done this before it might be hard but it is not. Most of the time it is just fear of rejection. try spending 5 years writing a book and then get a rejected... about a zillion times.
OK it was more like 20, but it felt like a zillion. And no I never got the book published, but I got experience in writing it.
Hey great response!! What type of sales information should I bring to the store?

I'm thinking of creating a small catalogue of my shirts - probably shouldn't say catalogue since it will consist of only 1-3 pages. What else does a retailer expect the seller to bring?

Another question to retailers - If a seller walked in your store, what characteristics & things would make you have a more favorable opinion on the person?

THanks!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
DriverInc said:
Hey great response!! What type of sales information should I bring to the store?

I'm thinking of creating a small catalogue of my shirts - would say catalogue since it will consist of 1-3 pages. What else does a retailer expect the seller to bring?

Another question to retailers - If a seller walked in your store, what characteristics & things would make you have a more favorable opinion on the person?

THanks!
Check this thread for some great tips:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=3855

And then this one:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=2381

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Sorry, there was a post by LaWaughn (she used to be a retailer) that described what she liked to see when someone approached her trying to get their products in their store. She talked about the time of day he came in, how he used to phone beforehand, etc.

It was good info, I thought it was in one of those 2 threads, but I can't seem to find it now.

I don't think there are too many people with retail storefronts in the forums.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts