T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone buy their bobbin on a cone and make their own bobbins for embroidering?

And what type of thread do you buy if you do?

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
396 Posts
i used to. it is cheaper than pre-wound ones but takes time to do. if you have the extra time and extra metal bobbins that is the way to go. to me now the pre-wound ones make more sense.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to save money and right now I have time that I could do 10 or 20 at a time and be able to run the machine all week. I just bought 20 about a week ago and I'm on my last 3.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i used to. it is cheaper than pre-wound ones but takes time to do. if you have the extra time and extra metal bobbins that is the way to go. to me now the pre-wound ones make more sense.
What thread would you recommend?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The prewound ones are not that expensive. If you buy them from an embroidery supplier they are approx. .30 each. It sounds like you are buying them retail. You need to get a box of 144. They range in price from 30.00 to 40.00 or so. Prewounds have much better tension and consistency than winding your own. A small price to pay for trouble free embroidery. I myself prefer the magna glide magnetic bobbins.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have wound my own but found that the tension wasn't consistent like it is with the pre-wound bobbins. And, it didn't seem to put has much thread on the bobbin as the pre-wound.
It is worth the extra money to buy pre-wound. I use Magna-Glide with great success.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The prewound ones are not that expensive. If you buy them from an embroidery supplier they are approx. .30 each. It sounds like you are buying them retail. You need to get a box of 144. They range in price from 30.00 to 40.00 or so. Prewounds have much better tension and consistency than winding your own. A small price to pay for trouble free embroidery. I myself prefer the magna glide magnetic bobbins.
I know they are cheap from wholesaler. I'm just trying to see which way would be better by asking those that have wound their own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I personally like the magna-glide magnetic bobbins. Ever since I started using them I have not had any tension issues. For regular prewounds Coats are the favorite of most. Madeira also has a cardboard sided bobbin that has a magnet not as strong as the others on one side. Those sew very well also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with Jane, go with the magna glide bobbins. I have been stitching for several years, started with a home based machine and progressed to commercial machines. I too, was concerned with costs in the beginning and thought it would be more economical to wind my own bobbins...end result is not consistent tension in your stitching. You want quality stitching and self wound bobbins dont always produce consistent stitching. Ruining one garment could cover the cost difference in self wound vs. magna glide bobbins. Just my opinion:)

Happy Stitching,
Kim

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use NEB's now. I have used Coats and was think of getting them in bulk. I don't like NEB's, they give me trouble. Coat's seem to run out fast, but they stitch better.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use Fufu for my upper. I love it. I was using Robison-Anton, but I had too many breakage with that brand.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I, too, love the magna-glides. I have used the Coats and the NEBs in the past. What I have found with the magna-glides, other than the great tensions and headache free bobbins, is that they leave very little residue in the hook area. The other ones left quite a bit of "fluff and stuff" in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay I see a lot of people use magna-glide. Where can I buy them at wholesale?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have used the same bobbins for 15 years. Coats spun polyester, spun, because it keeps the bobbin cases clean (if you use any kind of "Bonded" bobbins you will get a build up of dust and other material that tends to cause the bobbin spring to stay open). If you look at spun polyester with a magnifing glass you will see fibers sticking out, these fibers will actually keep the bobbin clean. You can buy them by the gross for about $18.00 per gross when you buy by the case. I get mine from Komar (a distributor for Coats American).

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is Magna-Glide their best bobbin? I see they have 2 more.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts