T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had tropical force winds and CAT 1 winds blow through the tri-state yesterday! Trees down, power lines down and thousands of people without power and still without power. Businesses and schools are closed as if we had a major snowstorm. No where near the devestation they have in Texas, so I can only imagine what they are going through. I hope everyone is safe and well.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
We got hit last night, here in Cleveland. My power was out for about 8 hours. I'm afraid to open my fridge. I just filled the freezer up with meat the other day, so I want to make sure everything refreezes before I get into it. So irritating. A lot of areas here still don't have power. Some of the schools are closed here too. It was a nightmare driving home from work last night, my windshield kept getting hit with little branches and a lot of the streets were blocked off from downed trees and power lines. I heard this morning that a boy in the area was crushed by a falling tree last night and died. How horrible. I feel bad for those people who were in the storm's direct path. We were just on the outskirts of it and had tons of damage. I wouldn't want to take a direct hit from a hurricane.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
We got hit all afternoon here in the Urbana area. I know their is a lot of people still with out power. I wish all are safe and well. Good luck. .... JB

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just got power back on here in south central Missouri at 6:00 this morning. Many are still without power. Woke up at 4:30 Sunday morning when the wind hit and power went out. Daylight I drove around and we had lots of trees down and everyone out of power. I walked out part of the family farm fences today and have at least 20 trees across the fence. Spent all afternoon fixing fence and will spend most of tomorrow from the looks of it. And I ain't even checked the rest of the farm yet. Just concentrating on where the cattle are right now.

I have relatives in the Houston area. I ain't heard how much damage they had but I do know they are ok.

This hurricane stayed together as a tropical depression the longest I think I've ever seen. I don't ever recall hearing off places north of Missouri having the wind damage they've had this time around. In fact, I've never seen Missouri have this kind of damage from a hurricane coming up from the gulf. Rain and flooding from them yes, but never the wind like we've had.

Prayers are definetely with those direct hit down in the gulf region.

Hope all is well with the rest of you.

Craig

·
Registered
134 Posts
I live in houston, and thankfully im staying with relatives too because Ive been without power for 5 days at my house. Houston got hit hard, trees down everywhere you turn on the roads, literally any road you go to there was a tree in the road or somewhere near by that has fallen down. Also, in every subdivision everyones fences were blown to the ground. It was bad, but not as bad as galveston, whole houses got blown away :(

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Thank heavens your OK and you've been able to find a place with power. It would be awful to have a house blown away, or destroyed in any other manner for that matter. We're still praying for all of you that were in it's direct path and suffered so much devastation.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
There was a write up in our local paper, because someone had relatives here and came from Texas to escape Ike and they got here and they were without power from all the high winds also. What a distance to travel to be without electric again. :(

We never lost power but my son and sister were without for about a week, still tonight some are without in Columbus. 9 days later.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I'm not sure which is worse, losing the air on a hot muggy day, or losing the heat when it's below zero. I know you can always add clothing when you're cold, but in the summer once you get down to your skin you can't take anything else off! I have a lot of difficulty breathing when it's hot and humid, so losing my air can be hazardous to my health.

Also in the winter you can put your frozen foods outside to keep them frozen or fresh. In the summer when the fridge won't work the food just sits and rots. This is the third time I've lost power days after filling my freezer. The first time I had a huge upright freezer that I had just filled with $500 of meat that I'd just bought from a butcher shop. That was the time the entire eastern USA lost the powergrid. My freezer died when the power came back on. The last two times it was the frozen food in my fridge that suffered the damage. Not nearly as much of a loss, but still costly and financially unable to be replaced right away.

What did people do before modern conveniences were invented. I'm still trying to figure out how I managed to survive all those years without a cell phone or computer...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts