T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Light blue blotches out of no where? Smears on the bottom of the mugs?
This is a 2 part question, thanks.
My color picture line of mugs that I have been cooking for 1 year with the cactus wraps 400 for 20 minutes turned upside down, are showing up with little smears on the very bottom edge of the image on the bottom of the mug with the full bleed . It looks like the ink pooped out and didn't penetrate the surface. The 11 oz mug has full coverage of the wrap and the pressure is good. The printed image looks great. This is a new problem, can you help, please.
This ever worse, when I have a small image and there is a lot of the white mug showing, I get light blue blotches that show up on the white areas. I showed my graphic source and they can not figure it out. The paper is white and the images are clear on a new white back ground. The cactus wraps are new. Where is the light blue blotches coming from? What am I doing wrong? This is a sublimation nightmare.
Please let me know what you think?
Diane

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi. As I don't use mug wraps, I can only offer you help with the second part of your problem, the blue spots.

I have generaly found this to be down to one of two possible causes.

Cutting the transfer paper too close to the image. This can allow the ink to 'bleed' from the edges of the transfer paper.

Insufficient pressure. The ink is in a gaseous state when heated and is 'free to roam', if not pressed firmly against the substrate.

Hope this helps you out. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. As I don't use mug wraps, I can only offer you help with the second part of your problem, the blue spots.

I have generaly found this to be down to one of two possible causes.

Cutting the transfer paper too close to the image. This can allow the ink to 'bleed' from the edges of the transfer paper.

Insufficient pressure. The ink is in a gaseous state when heated and is 'free to roam', if not pressed firmly against the substrate.

Hope this helps you out. :)
If I was cutting the transfer that would happen but I am not. It's sublimation and you don't have to cut the transfer. Let's say it's a logo on a white mug. But I get the blue blotches. I wish I knew what to do.
Thanks for trying.
Diane

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If I was cutting the transfer that would happen but I am not. It's sublimation and you don't have to cut the transfer. Let's say it's a logo on a white mug. But I get the blue blotches. I wish I knew what to do.
Thanks for trying.
Diane

I run a successful sublimation business Diane. :)

Unless you are using enormous mugs, you must be trimming the transfer paper down to size to fit the mug. If that cut edge is too close to the image, that is where you will get your blotches from. Likewise if the pressure is too light, you will also get blotches appearing.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run a successful sublimation business Diane. :)

Unless you are using enormous mugs, you must be trimming the transfer paper down to size to fit the mug. If that cut edge is too close to the image, that is where you will get your blotches from. Likewise if the pressure is too light, you will also get blotches appearing.

Hope this helps. :)
My mugs are the 11oz and 15 oz size. I do not trim the image or do I have to with sublimation. Do you and why? The paper is trimmed about 1/4" longer width and length of the mug wrap. I will tighten the pressure up and try that this morning. Thanks again for taking the time here to help me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is probably the mug wrap.try wrapping the mug with a teflon sheet before applying the mug wrap and see what happens
That's what I think. What teflon sheet are you talking about? I have one 14"x16" that came with the press. Your not talking about cutting that one up are you? I appreciate your help, thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There was one ocassion when I also got mysterious blue blotches. Turns out in was IN THE IMAGE... light blue areas are very difficult to see on screen. The only way I could find them (in Photoshop) was to set the Magic Wand to '0' and see if there were any artifacts.

LEO

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was one ocassion when I also got mysterious blue blotches. Turns out in was IN THE IMAGE... light blue areas are very difficult to see on screen. The only way I could find them (in Photoshop) was to set the Magic Wand to '0' and see if there were any artifacts.

LEO
Thanks for the help. I did that and was white. I am thing to bake them @ 400 and look at them in 12 min. 13 min. etc. and see if I can stop cooking them before the blue appears. I will let you know.
LEO[/quote]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts