T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions about bloggs/bloggers:

1) Can a blogger write about your company (good or bad) without your knowledge/consent?

2) what to stop a competitor with their own blog to write a bad review about you? or a competitor to get/pay a blogger to do that?

3) I am going to try affiliate marketing, but also didn't want to expos my line to untrue negative press, just because of competition- anyone have any comments or past experiences with this?

My understanding is that in a public forum, on can at least reply back to the negative press, but not a bloogers?

Any bad experiences with Bloggers or affiliate marketing/programs to promote and market your line?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
584 Posts
Re: Bloggs - Can they write whatever they want?

Very good questions, though none I have the answer to. I am going to follow this thread though~

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

1) Can a blogger write about your company (good or bad) without your knowledge/consent?
Oh, yes, absolutely.

2) what to stop a competitor with their own blog to write a bad review about you? or a competitor to get/pay a blogger to do that?
Nothing before the fact. After the fact, you can sue for libel, but it costs money to sue people and you may have to show evidence that the things they said are not true.

3) I am going to try affiliate marketing, but also didn't want to expos my line to untrue negative press, just because of competition- anyone have any comments or past experiences with this?
You are really worrying far too much about this. I can't even recall one blog post or newspaper article giving negative press to a t-shirt company.

Except American Apparel.. but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

My understanding is that in a public forum, on can at least reply back to the negative press, but not a bloogers?
There are a lot of ways to respond to bad press. You can contact the blogger and ask for the opportunity to respond on their blog. You can post a statement on your website. You can have your lawyer contact them. Etc.

Any bad experiences with Bloggers or affiliate marketing/programs to promote and market your line?
Some consumers respond badly to "paid for post" blogging (i.e. you pay the person to write about you). That is usually only a really big problem if they did not disclose the fact that they were paid. Even so, I don't see this method as being very effective or a good return on your investment.

The best way to get good press is to have a great product, do networking, send press releases, etc. Happy customers like to talk about good products and services, so spend more time and money on making your customers happy and investing in other forms of marketing, and the good press will come naturally.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Of course.

Nothing at all. And if it's true (and truth is subjective, so it probably is true enough), there's nothing you can do about it. Except count the money from the sales of the people who disagree with their opinion. It's an exaggeration to say there's no such thing as bad publicity, but really what harm could it do if a blog posts saying "Look at this t-shirt? Can you believe how bad it is?". Either it really is that bad and no-one was going to buy it anyway, or people will disagree and make up their own mind.

So you're afraid of anyone seeing your line, because someone might not like it? I think your blog anxiety is just a mask over a much more normal "what if nobody likes me?" anxiety.

Bloggers are basically baby journalists, minus the training, ethics classes, reporting conventions, or respect of their peers (okay, I kid). But with the right of free speech, and the right of fair use (meaning they can re-post your images to comment on them).

Most bloggers have comments open, so you're welcome to respond if you want. I'd be very careful about what you say (you don't want to come off as desperate or too defensive), but you can respond. I doubt many people read the comments, but it's not at all unheard of for a blogger to modify their original post to include a quote in defence of what they were criticising for the sake of balance.

Getting a bad review isn't the end of the world. At least you'd know what to fix. The real, and far more realistic, fear of a new t-shirt company should be they're so obscure nobody knows or cares about them. If someone cares about you enough to skewer you, you're doing something right.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts

You are really worrying far too much about this. I can't even recall one blog post or newspaper article giving negative press to a t-shirt company.
There have been a few, but it is rare (actually too rare in my opinion; I'm getting really sick of the self-congratulatory nature of the t-shirt industry). I agree that it's really not something worth worrying about though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hello All,
Thanks for the replies!
I was askign those types of questions just to get someother industry opinions to what I had pressumed. jsut doing DD. I'm not really concerned on the fact the ppl may not like my line (I have been gettign a good response so far- jsut goign to launch my on line marketing campapinge and wated to know the advantages and disadvantages etc..)..but was more concerend if any one has had that kind of experience(s)

Thanks again,

I am now in process of settign up an affiliete marketing campainge, along with much more other venues of marketing my line...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts