T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking on the net for a host site that did domain names ,website builders,and also had the shoping cart and I found BLEWHOST,seems like they had everything in there basic package I would need to get started,but of course a couple of issues ;
(1) i saw they said the domain name was yours forever (as long as they were your host ) so that sounds entraping, because if thats my biz name and im stuck no matter the qaulity cannot be good ,,,

(2)I havent seen anyone discuss BLEWHOST in the forum anyone heard of them and any comments or suggestions for full service web design and hosting any thing would help

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE
TERRY D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
In my opinion you should host your website with a different company than you buy the domain from. You don't want to get trapped into any kind of wierd deal, where the host actually owns your domain. There are a million hosts. I haven't heard of the one you are taling about so I cannot comment on them. I use e-host.net and am very happy with them. I have had about 100% uptime since I have started using them.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I haven't heard of blewhost. You may want to try going with a larger company.

LunarPages, pair.com, even godaddy are pretty established names. If you do a search for "hosting" here at the forums, you'll also find some past topics where folks recommended hosts they've used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive Seen Lunar And Go Daddy On A Top 10 Web Hosting Board ,didnt Know If It Was Legit Or Not .since I Heard You Say It That Is What I'll Do !bigger It Is!also I Guess As Far As Domain Name Buy It 1st Seperate From Your Host Is What Im Picking Up On The Forum Is That Correct ? Ty Again Rodney

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
terryd 420 said:
As Far As Domain Name Buy It 1st Seperate From Your Host Is What Im Picking Up On The Forum Is That Correct ? Ty Again Rodney
If you were unsure about the reputation of your host that would certainly be the way to go (some registrars have been known to refuse to release your domain name when you want to change registrars). It really shouldn't actually be necessary though; if your host is reliable enough to give money to, they shouldn't try and steal your domain name.

You have just as much chance of registering with a dodgy registrar as you do registering with a dodgy host, so it shouldn't really make you any better off - it'll just cost you an extra ten bucks (since most hosts provide one free domain registration with an account).

It's not a bad idea (and at certain points in the past or with certain hosts it was a downright good idea), but it does just seem a bit paranoid.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
jdr8271 said:
Just make sure that the domain is owned by you, and that you could switch hsots at any time. There are companies that will tie you in, by giving you a "free" domain name.
Agreed. While it's not the norm, you can't trust that the fine print is innocuous.

You should have full control over/access to every aspect of your domain and hosting, and not be locked out of your own business, having to rely on someone else to change things for you.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
There are companies that will tie you in, by giving you a "free" domain name. It sounds like a great deal, but when you read the fine print, they actually own the domain name, in order to tie you into using their hosting services.
I know this happened more often years ago, but I haven't seen it as much recently (since the pricing of domain names has dropped).

But it is good to look at the fine print and make sure you have full control over the domain name, that you are listed as the OWNER/REGISTRANT and that you can control the NAMESERVERS through an online control panel (without having to phone or email the host to make changes to your domain records).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts