T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what is the main cause for bleed through on dark transfers?

I am printing an image using pigment ink on an epson inkjet, cutting the image, heat pressing at 180 deg c for 25 seconds onto a black tshirt and immediately I get quite bad bleed through which really dulls the whole image.

I am not really sure what brand paper it is, all i can tell you is it has a blue grid backing.

I think the press was a bit hotter than recommended 188ish. Should I try lower or less pressure or shorter time maybe?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I've had this happen heat presssing opaque transfers on 100% polyester, what is the fabric? I beleive it's called dye migration. Mike

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
It's really unavoidable. I have yet to come across an opaque inkjet paper that does not experience dye migration issues on dark colored polyesters.

You can try to reduce your temperature and/or dwell time to reduce the effect, but be careful to wash test as this may cause durability issues.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Just wondering what is the main cause for bleed through on dark transfers?

I am printing an image using pigment ink on an epson inkjet, cutting the image, heat pressing at 180 deg c for 25 seconds onto a black tshirt and immediately I get quite bad bleed through which really dulls the whole image.

I am not really sure what brand paper it is, all i can tell you is it has a blue grid backing.

I think the press was a bit hotter than recommended 188ish. Should I try lower or less pressure or shorter time maybe?
What cause dye migration is high temp and long dwell time. I press blue grid at 320F or 160C, light pressure and press it twice with 6 seconds increments. Letting it cool down in between pressing. That way the dye does not change to gas state to migrate through (sublimation effect).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What cause dye migration is high temp and long dwell time. I press blue grid at 320F or 160C, light pressure and press it twice with 6 seconds increments. Letting it cool down in between pressing. That way the dye does not change to gas state to migrate through (sublimation effect).
Interesting advice, so you think press for 6 seconds, let it cool a bit then press for another 6? I will have to give it a go, any issues after washing?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have seen migration occur after washing.

I have also seen migration occur over time, well after the transfer/film has been heat applied. It really depends on the fabric content, and how the fabric was made/dyed. Cheaper fabrics tend to bleed easier then more expensive fabrics.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
So far no issues after washing and no customer complaints. I think the bleeding after wash is not the same as heat application issue. The dye of the fabric bleeds because of the type of dye used and how it was applied to the fabric regardless of what type of heat transfer is used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts